Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with GFS Retrotrons (the guy I bought it from said he'd put them in for free). I like the heavy-ish stuff (Metallica, Pantera, Tool), grunge stuff (STP's, Pearl Jam, etc.), and the classics (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc.). The 505 amp model is perfect for Metallica, the Twn is great for clean, and B-Kat (on dirty) is awesome with AC/DC. Sometimes it can get a little buzzy on distortion and clean, but you can fine tune the low, mid, high, pre gain, and post gain levels and fix it a little.

This is a very good starter amp. If you can't afford that Marshall and those effects pedals it is excellent. It can range anywhere from hillbilly, to blues, to great clean, to good distortion, to metal, and probably to death metal, too (lol). I might buy a nother one if it was lost or stolen, but probably upgrade to one with the MIDI port on it (30w atleast). It's a very nice sounding amp, and will fit in anywhere from beginners to experts. When I checked it out at GC the guy said it was waayy better than the Line 6 Spider III's. I wish it came with a Switch pedal though. That's about it! GREAT AMP!

I can definately depend on this MoFo. I'm not sure I would this small of an amp in a gig (atleast the 50w?? ). Sometimes-I don't know if it's just mine- when I turn it on, a couple random lights show up and it won't play, but I just flip the Switch off then on again and it's all better.

I've been playing for about a year now. This baby owns! it has 12 different Peavey amp models (clean or dirty on each, so 24 for those slow at math), plus 12 effects (Trem, Chorus, Auto Wah, Slap back, flanger, tubescream, bypass, octaver, phaser, rotary spkr, reverse, pitch shift) - all that you can fine tune. I bought a wireless headphone set and plugged it in for nighttime use (excellent btw), and often plug my iPod into the aux input jack. This lovely piece (which is the 15w version) is pleanty loud!