Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Peavey: Vypyr 15

Price paid: € 119

I am using an Epiphone SG Special at the moment, which is a very cheao guitar. The sound of the Vypyr doesn't always fit my style as it has too much distortion, and if you turn down the gain it sounds choked. The volume can also be a problem on the distorted amp models: On very low volumes it doesn't sound good and if it's cranked up, the high frequences sound terrible. It is generally really loud, you just have to set the volume to 2-3 for practising in a room. Another problem is the EQ. Some amp models like the 6250 or Rec are too bassy in my opinion. I just can't get a clear tone out of them, if I don't turn up the highs fully, and then I get problems with some terrible high sounds. Also the lower-gain distortion and crunch models sound choked and don't have enough sustain. So I don't even use most of the channels. The clean sounds are ok and don't distort on the volumes I use.

But a big problem is that the amp begins to rattle if I play palm mutings and deeper tones on the low E and A string on high gain, much bass in the EQ and higher volumes. This really messes up the sound, most of all the cleans.

I got this amp when I had not much knowledge about guitars and amps and was blinded by the big amount of amp-models and effects which I only play around with. I wish I would have tried out more amps before I bought this. It doesn't fit my style well, as the most songs I play are from guitarists Who use Marshalls. I wouldn't buy it again if it broke or got lost/stolen, I would save up money for a tube amp. There's not much I love about this amp, but it's the only amp I have at the moment (besides a Marshall MS-2). The only amps I compared it with were the Line 6 Spider III which some of my friends own. I nearly bought the Spider, but I think I did better with the Vypyr.

I wish it had better lower and mid-gain amp models, compatibility with a footswitch, more useful effects like Wah and no rattling. Anyways it's a cheap amp and you get what you pay for.

Its reliable and never broke down in the 6 months I have been using it. I wouldn't use it for gigs though due to its sounds and the lack of a footswitch. The problems are that it's rattling and that the panel is wacky and I haven't found a way to fix those 2 problems.

It is a very versatile solid state modelling amp, it can do pretty many sounds, but it's more designed for metal-sounds. It has got 24 amp models (7 clean-, 5 crunch- and 12 Drive-models), 11 effects (Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, Phaser, Pitch Shifter, Octaver, EnvFilter, TubeScreamer, Rotary Speaker, Slap Back, Reverse) each with 2 editable parameters + Delay (with tap tempo button) and Reverb. It has an EQ with low, mid, high, pre and post gain and a master volume knob. You can save up to 12 settings. It is loud enough and the distortion is brutal enough for what I play (Metallica, Slayer, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, ZZ Top, RATM ...). I only use it for practising (also it's my first and only amp at the moment). I miss the additional effects which are only available on the 30W and higher versions and the Pantera footswitch compatibility. So I can't really use the effects and can't Switch between the amp-models dynamically.