Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: Ziegler's Music, Baton Rouge

I am currently using a MusicMan SUB with dual humbuckers, between the guitar and this amp sometimes there are too many choices for tone/sound. The clean versions of the Deluxe and Tweed amps are great, not too much coloration and an accurate reproduction of those classics. The other "high gain" amps in clean or over-Drive are also faithful recreations, even down to the amp noise bed... Humming away like a warmed up Plexi. This amp has plenty of power for my uses... Practice and recording, and way more distortion than I'd ever need.

I play many different types/styles of music and by itself this amp does the job admirably. What even more sounds/tones, just plug in your favorite pedal(s)/stompbox(es). Like the amp models, some of the effects are quit useful... While others are just novelty. I was sold when I heard the backwards effect in the store, but it's really not too useful for me. I don't think the tuner is very accurate, I get better results with other tuners or my own ears. The "idiot lights" are fun, but they are also useful in seeing your settings at a glance. Not quit sure about the Post Gain control, even the guys at The Music store couldn't explain that one. Overall a solid amp, reasonable price and good tone... Just wish I would have gotten one of the larger models for the option of foot pedals/switches and the USB output.

It's solid state and it's a Peavey... Personally I've never had any problems with any of their products. So for me just based on the brand I'd expect this lil' amp to continue crankin' for many years to come.

This review is for the Peavey Vypyr 15, the lowest priced version of the Vypyr lineup. 15 watts of solid state power through an 8" driver. Not going to repeat info from previous reviews... features, specs, etc... there's plenty available already. So I'll focus on what it is about this lil' amp that I personally like.

First... the "price-to-sound" ratio is excellent, this lil' sucker packs enough amp models to satisfy most guitarist. That's especially true considering this is considered a practice amp. I've found about 4-5 amp models that I really like and find useful, the rest are just a bonus.

Have yet to try the headphone/record jack, so can't support the claim that the output simulates a real cabinet. Instead I close mic it with good results. It's a fairly clean amp with decent tone for a small driver and cab combo.

I just wish they would have given this model the option to support the pedals/switches they offer for the other Vypyrs, it's a pain to find the saved sound you desire with the tiny buttons and awkward labeling.