Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: Sam Ash

So far I've played this amp through my Ibanez RG321MH with 2 humbuckers and I'm loving it. I play several different styles, mainly metal and it suits metal quite well.

The amp shakes my floor even at low volumes. It has powerful bass and I find the need to adjust the settings of most of the distorted channel presets. I dare not turn the master volume up to 2 for fear of my head exploding.

Overall the distortions are great. Obviously you can't expect tube quality sounds from a 15 watt modeling amp but for it's price it's one hell of an amp. I find the reverb and delay effects quite nice. However it seems every setting on the distorted models has some level of delay and reverb put in so it's a bit of a pain to have to turn it down or off everytime I Switch models unless I save it as a preset.

I've tried this amp also with my DigiTech RP50 (effects pedal) and the quality of pedal sounds a lot nicer on this amp than my Marshall MG.

This is a great amp for practicing in your bedroom and for beginners. It destroys my Marshall MG. I recommend this amp to anyone who is looking for something with hi-gain tones without having to dish out a lot of cash. It's got a lot of nice sounding amp models and effects and the ability to adujts these effects will keep you entertained. Being able to save up to 12 of your own presets is a big plus.

One of my favorite features is the 3.35mm headphone input. My Marshall had a 1/4" headphone jack so being able to use your standard headphones or earbuds means now I can play all night but I'm sure most modern amps have this feature as standard.

As a practice amp I'm sure this thing will last me quite a while. I've only had it for one day before writing this review. The speaker is completely exposed in the back unlike my Marshall MG. I'm gonna give it a 7 in the reliability & durability area since I've only had it for 2 days.

Wow. Where to start? Let me just say I was using a Marshall MG10CD for 2 years with a DigiTech RP50 before buying this amp. For $30 more, this amp blows the MG10CD out of the water.

The Vypyr comes with 12 amp presets, each one having a clean and distorted channel, 11 effects including a seperate control for delay and reverb making it 13 effects. It also comes with a gain knob (pre-gain) and an equalizer for your lows, mids, and highs, and a preset volume knob (post gain) and a master volume knob. In addition it comes with an auxillary input and a 3.35mm(1/8") headphone/recording input and storage for up to 12 of your own custom presets.

The only thing I wish it had was a USB input for easier recording. Also, for a 15 watt amp, this thing is LOUD. But not a problem as seeing as you can pretty much keep it at very low volumes by adjusting the post-gain levels or playing with headphones/earbuds.

It also has a cool but cheesy Christmas light show going on on the front panel if you turn it on without your guitar plugged in.