Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: Byrds music

I'm using a B.C. Rich Platinum Warlock and an Ibanez GRG150 and they sound heavenly.

Its hard to say if this amp suits my style or not, considering it has a model for pretty much any style, and if it doesn't, that can be easily fixed with some tweaking of dials. Some say the clean channels are lacking in some respects, and I must agree, they distort at higher volumes quite easily, so its obvious this amp is designed for the younger generation who like it loud and crunchy.

I play anything from punk to metal, and my favorite settings are the k-stein with gain boost or the 6505 with gain boost, these settings are brutal by themselves, but with a bit more tweaking, they get even better!

The only thing I really dislike about it is the fact that it can't go past the halfway mark on the volume without it starting to distort badly, clean or not...

I play mostly metal, but this amp would be a good match for anyone who's into music with loud distorted guitar parts.

Note: if your buying this amp, either read the manual fully or get the guy your buying it from to give you a demo as all the dials and buttons and flashing lights will confuse the crap outta you at first.

I had the choice of this amp, or a 15 watt line6 spider, this one costed a bit more than the line6, but had so much more on it, and sounded a hell of a lot better, so I'm happy with my decision.

This is a bit controversial, because its almost completely digital, its obviously going to be more fragile, (remember, there's a small computer inside it!) but its still pretty sturdy, mines only fallen over once so far, and it still works fine, but it doesn't seem like the kind of amp that will be able to take a big beating.

I probably wouldn't use it at a gig due to its size, but if it were larger, (or I had it micked) I would definitely depend on it without a backup.

I got this amp for Christmas last year and it owns! I don't know when it was made, but its amazing, its (as you should know) the new digital modeling amplifier technology from Peavey with 'four times more processing power than the other most advanced digital modeling amps out at the time'. But it keeps its not-so-digital sound due to the analogue way in which its wired.

It has 12 preset amp models (each with a normal channel and a gain boost channel), 12 effects to use (11 really, but the bypass 'effect' counts apparently) plus all the standard controls like treble, mid, and bass. Each effect has two adjustable parameters to it which can be edited by pushing the effects dial, there's also a headphone input/line-out jack, and an auxiliary input.

For a 15 watt, this amp is LOUD it competes with my friends drum kit quite well anyway... They say its meant to out-do the line6 spider series, and its safe to say that Peavey have had great success in that area.