Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: Trade

I play though this thing with an array of different guitars. It will suit any musical style if paired with the right guitar and dialed in to the right settings. Through the speaker you can hear a tiny amount of noise. Can't tell if it's radio interference or what it is. You literally have to put your head to the speaker to hear it though. Not a big deal. It's solid state so it runs the cleans clean and the distortion is consistent throughout volume selection. Doesn't sweeten up as the volume increases like a tube amplifier. If the distortions on the emulated amps didn't sound a little harsh and sterile I would give it a better score. Also the effects are fun to play with but some of them are useless to me. The octavizer and the pitch shifter are fun but have no real use to most guitar players. Across the board the effects sound good nonetheless. I give it an eight.

I wish the emulated amp's distortion settings had more detail than just differences in base EQ. If you tried you could use the EQ on the amplifier to make two different amps sound exactly the same. Wish I could run more than one effect at a time without the second effect having to be reverb. If it were lost or stolen I might buy a new one but I would consider a Roland Cube first. I love it's versatility though and that is what is most important to me in a practice amp. It should be able to do everything pretty well and it does. It's a great amp regardless of the few small problems I have with it. Definately one of the best solid-state amps you can buy. It gets a 9 overall.

Its very light and the grill is prone to being dented and stretched by the smallest amount of pressure, but other than that it is well built. The pots don't come loose or anything and it has never failed on me. Pretty solid amp. Serves it's purpose as I don't foresee ever using it at a gig. I give it a nine.

I believe this amp was made sometime in 2008 or 2009. The amp is only 15 watts so I use it as a bedroom practice amp. Has 12 channels each able to store an amp emulation, eq settings, an effect of your choice, and reverb (or none). Has an emulated headphone jack/recording out. Never use it so I can't comment on the quality. The amp can pretty much do anything moderately well if you spend the time to find the right settings for your particular need. Pretty darn good solid state amp due to the versatility. I give it a nine for features simply because it can't run multiple effects at once unless one of those effects is reverb.