Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: C.A. House Music

I am using this amp with my Kramer Striker 211 custom with a Seymour Duncan JB model Trembucker in the bridge. It works very well for many different styles. The clean tones are spectacular, and the distorted tones have the perfect balance of good tone and response required for my neoclassical guitar playing. Unless you pump an unholy amount of overdrive combined with the amp's on-board Tube Screamer effect, this amp stays incredibly quiet. Being a tone freak, any practice amp that I'd use needs to have good tone, and Peavey has delivered yet again.

Playing anything from folk music, blues, and rock to neoclassical shred, and even Cannibal Corpse style death metal in a friend's band, this amp delivers the necessary tones for writing any kind of song. Having been a guitarist for nearly 15 years (started at the age of four), I can say that this really beats everything but my Valveking half stack. If I suddenly lost this amp, I'd go right back and buy another one (finances permitting of course). There is so much to love about this amp, and not really much to dislike at all. As far as features go, I'd have to say that the versatility offered by their amp modeling system would be the absolute best feature if I had to pick one. Again, this amp was compared to similar units made by Line 6 and Roland, and the competition wasn't all that intense. Roland came in 2nd and Line 6 was left in the dust by Peavey's mastery over the world of amplification. Overall, this is a great amp. If you're a new player, I'd highly recommend it as a starter amp. If you're a seasoned musician that needs a highly portable and versatile practice amp, I'd recommend it for that too. If you have any need for a 15 watt amp, this amp is the one for you!

Being made by Peavey, this amp is highly durable. If some natural disaster caused my Valveking to stop working, this amp could probably handle as small club gig. Being fairly new, this amp has yet to even have one problem (unlike my old Behringer GMX 210, which had to be serviced 3 times due to the cheap parts that the company uses). Peavey on the other hand uses high quality materials, and I've never known someone who owned a Peavey to have any problems with reliability.

I own a 2010 model of this amp. I recently purchased it as a practice amp (hauling my Valveking between rehearsals/shows and my house isn't exactly the easiest thing to do). For a 15 watt amplifier, this amp really can't be beaten. Having compared similar modeling amplifiers by Roland and Line 6, the Vypyr was the clear winner of that comparison test. It comes loaded with some pretty nice effects and amp models (especially for a 15 watt combo). After taking it to rehearsal one day just to play around with it, I found that, in true Peavey fashion, that it was actually loud enough to be heard over the drummer (who beats those drums very hard). Most solid state amps tend to get really muddy when used at full volume, but this amp stays fairly clean throughout it's volume range.

JL_Shredder
    Well, my review was focused on its use as a practice amplifier; not its use as a studio or live amplifier. I would never use any solid state amp in a live or studio setting. I actually forgot about the crappy tuner, so my features should have really been an 8 or 9. And not to sound like an *****, but what grants you leave to assume that I "don't have anything to do with music?"
    JL_Shredder
    Well, I just thought that you should know that my profile has not been updated in a while. I now mainly play a Kramer Striker 211 Custom (equipped with a Seymour Duncan JB Trembucker in the bridge and a JB Junior in the neck, with the middle disconnected. I installed both myself along with a genuine Floyd Rose and a brass block for that Floyd Rose. And since when did owning low quality instruments make anyone a sub-par musician. I suppose that musicianship must be something that one can buy then? Never mind the fact that I have been playing guitar for 14 years, piano for 3 years, mandolin for 4 years, bass for 10. Also, please disregard the fact that I am a music major studying composition and minoring in opera. You may also want to disregard the fact that I've already composed 6 sonatas, all before I reached the age of 16 (20 years old now). But hey, what do I know? I'm only a classically trained musician who does not happen to be rich, and I was never spoiled as a child. I guess that just makes me a bad musician eh? I'm interested in hearing your remarks...
    JL_Shredder
    Of course, I do not feel the need to prove myself to anyone such as yourself. I just figured that this short conversation might make you think twice before you insult someone you do not know. A little modesty and consideration might serve you well.
    JL_Shredder
    Beyond what I've already said here, I shall not reply again until you have come up with a useful argument; free of logical fallacies.
    JL_Shredder
    Then perhaps we got lost in translation. If you want to discuss gear itself, then I will readily admit that I'm not the authority. I spent most of my time improving my technique and compositional abilities rather than learning much about gear. Your last comment really made your point much clearer, and I agree. This amp does not deserve the 10s that I gave it. I was on the defensive because I thought you were insulting my musicianship rather than my knowledge of equipment (which definitely needs to be augmented). As I said, I use a Valveking 100 half stack for shows, rehearsal, and recording at the moment. That particular amp works very well and sounds very good. That said, I'm currently looking into the Carvin X100b which seems to better suit my playing style. Many people that I know have been recommending Bugera amplifiers, but after owning a Behringer GMX 210 as a beginner, I will never purchase anything made by said company. The cheap input jack on that amp broke twice within my warranty period, and two knobs broke shortly after the period was up, but now I'm rambling. If it was my knowledge of gear that you were calling into question, then I fully acknowledge my mistake in taking offense and apologize for the bits of rudeness in my previous comments. Once I have purchased the x100b (or whichever head I decide on), I just might look into the Champion that you mentioned. If that is the case then perhaps new scores are in order. (6,5,4,6 for an overall score of 5.25)
    rv_phoenix
    There's no use reasoning with someone who granted straight 10s to a Peavey Vypyr, indeed. No offence. I've thought you want to discuss, in order to get more experience or simply to listen to other opinions. I just meant to tell you that your hard earned bucks could be spent on a quality practice amp, like the Fender Champion I've mentioned (there are some other 5 or 6 good all-tubes in the same price range as the Vypyr). And the only thing that made me react were the straight 10s to a low quality amp, like the Vypyr. It doesn't deserve them even compared to other modelling amps. Vox DAs, for instance, are so much better (again, in the same price range). If you took my invitation to responsability - because granting 10s implies a certain responsability - as an insult, then you're right. I shouldn't have replied from the very beginning. You're not a rocker. WE like to speak straight about our ideas, without feeling offenced every time when someone doesn't agree to them. And I definitely don't agree Vypyrs are good amps. Period.
    rv_phoenix
    Digital modelling amps are sheer crap; if you are a real musician (or, at least, a person provided good ears), then you know why. They certainly have their place in the actual gear market. But granting a straight 10 to this remarkable garbage proves you have nothing to do with music. Not to mention Peavey's crappy speaker and cheap Far East labour, which will show up in a couple of months (buzzing or screeching switches, fading lights etc. etc.). If we grant a straight 10 to this, how much should we grant to a Fender Champion Reissue, which is an all-tube in the same price range , and whose 5W RMS blows up any 15W modelling amp? A 173?
    JL_Shredder
    Also, I saw your review for the Lava Box. Have you tried the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, and if so, how does it compare?
    rv_phoenix
    A brief answer to your question: not arrogance, but the fact you're using a guitar belonging to Ibanez's GIO Series. If you are acquinted to a pro player, plase be so kind and ask him why the unknown bastard at the UG said so.