Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: GC

I play a squire Strat with stock single coils, and after I solved the p-up buzz problem, it sounds nice and clear. It suits my style very well, which is mostly Judas Priest type stuff, and its enough guitar for me. If you have the amp on a high volume and If you use certain amp models, you can get a good bit of feedback. The Clean channels stay clean at high volumes, if you are on a clean channel. There are distorted and clean channels for all amp models. The distortion on the Mesa Boogie Rectifier is faithful to the real rectifier, and is a favorite by a good amount of metal guitarists.

This amp is a good match for almost any style, except if you play only acoustic. It's hard to get a good clean channel and a good distorted channel in the same amp, but this is as good as it comes. I would definitely replace it if lost or stolen. If I had a few more bucks then I would get the 30 watt version, but if not the 15 is still amazing. I love almost everything about it, and I don't hate anything about it. I played it back to back with a Line 6 Spider, and this blows it away. The spider does somethings well, but the Vypyr does almost everything excellent. The only thing I wish it had is the rack effects option so I could run tube scream and autowah at the same time.

I've never had any problems with it, but I've only had it about 3 months. I would use on a gig, but only a small one, since it's still a 15 watt amp. It has never broken down, I just flip the switch, and it turns on. No problems what'soever with it.

Not sure what year it was made. I play blues, 80s metal, and some modern metal. This amp has at least 3 models for each of my styles. It has 12 channels, and the ability to save 12 different settings makes it easy to switch for each style in no time. I'm never let wanting for more effects or some other feature, but I don't really use many effects other than the env filter, or autowah, the chorus, the flanger, and the tube screamer. I use this amp in my living room, and it has plenty of power, and the distortion levels don't really change as the volume does.

Semperfidelis23
    Wow, that's a strong argument. There's one angle you didn't consider. Maybe I want to play a ton of different styles. A fender champ won't let me. It won't even let me play 2 styles. That's why I like the vypyr. I agree, its not the best amp for $100 dollars. But if you find an amp that has as many models and styles as the vypyr for the same price, let me know. I've only been playing a few years, but I've shopped around a ton. I got this amp on recommendation from my guitar teacher who has been playing for almost 40 years. He also owns 32 guitars, so I imagine he knows a little about equipment.