Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: PMT

I play this usually with me LTD EC1000 fitted with EMG 81 (B) and 60 (N). Admittedly my musical tastes are somewhat limited. I prefer metal to everything else, playing things like; Metallica, Pantera and Machine Head. It manages those with ease no doubt. Otherwise I use my Gibson Les Paul Studio with Burstbuckers to play more classic rock like AC/DC or Van Halen and punk rock like Green Day and The Offspring. These kinds of tones are still no challenge for this amp. I occasionally use the clean channel for playing songs like "Nothing Else Matters", "The Call Of Ktulu" (Metallica) and "Darkness Within" (Machine Head) and it holds it's ground. It's nothing special, I do get the feeling that although this is a modelling amp built to cope with anything, the main thing Peavey had in mind was Metal. In summary it'll work really well for metal tones, anything else it can certainly manage, but it won't amaze.

To summarize this is an outstanding practice amp for it's price, it has a plethora of amp models and effects that definitely outweigh it's rivals, such as the Line 6 Spider. As said before, it can manage pretty much any tone, but only really excels at hard rock and metal. It seems reliable enough as a practice amp, I've never had any problems with it. My favourite feature for this amp is definitely the pitch shifter, which I find very useful if ever I'm using my Ibanez RGD320, or my Washburn Dime 333. If someone did steal it, or it was broken in some tragic accident, I'd definitely replace it with another one. There's nothing I can think this amp needs that it doesn't already have, other than perhaps a foot-switch for changing between the clean and over-driven channels.

I have owned this amp for about a year and a half, and have never had any reliability issues with it, so I'd say it's excellent. However, I solely use it as a practice amp; since I got it it has never left my bedroom, it's not made for gigging and so I don't think I should rate it any higher than an eight.

I believe this amp was made 2009 in China. It's a solid state modelling amplifier, best suited for bedroom practice, and just jamming around. If features 12 "clean" amp models, and with the push of a button, the same 12 models can be overdriven. Although on the clean setting, half the models sound like amps on a mid-gain crunch setting, and half are properly clean. When switched to overdrive, the mid-gain amps go to a highly over driven/distorted lead channel, and the clean amps go into a crunchy rhythm setting. I also has 12 built in fully customizable effects, including tremolo, phaser and pitch shifter. I personally find the pitch shifter very useful, as it allows me to de tune my guitars from E/drop D down about four semitones to C/drop A#. Not entirely necessary for a fixed bridge guitar, but it's a damn godsend for a Floyd Rose style bridge. There's not a whole lot else you could ask for a 95 bedroom practice amp/modelling. Personally I only use about four of the available 24 amp settings, and 3 of the effects, but I feel confident this amp could achieve roughly any tone your after. Obviously it's not going to turn heads like a 1500 head + cab setup, but that's not what it's for. Features are definitely worth a ten.

cfhdomination
    My wife got me this amp for Xmas. I use it whenever I want to practice at lower volumes, and still be able to get decent tones. Of course I'll never be able to achieve the tone I get with my normal setup, but that's expected from a digital modeling amp. I think it's good for what it does though. I'll give it a solid 7.