Vypyr 15 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 15

Purchased from: Local shop

To start, this is a modelling amp from Peavey, the 15 watt basic one and that being said, for a 15 watt practice amp this thing is loaded. It models several amps from Brit (read Vox) to Plexi (read Marshall) to fenders and rectos as well as some Peavey models. This amp also features several rack effects on it (being the basic model, it doesn't have the "stompbox" list save for the tubescreamer which they put on the rack effect for this amp. It is 15 watts, with a 8 inch speaker, and for a practice amp, it has tremelo, reverb, slap back and a bunch of other effects. For a practice amp, this is impressive.

Okay, the 8 inch speaker does limit some of the sounds, that being said, this amp is quite impressive. The "classic" and "brit" as well as the "plexi" give very good classic rock sounds. Now I'm not saying they sound like the real thing, this being a solid state amp, but the distortion sounds are crisp, and you can really adjust the tone. The dlx setting on clean is WOW, good Fender type tone, and the brit is impressive on clean also. One of the models is the Peavey 5105 or whatever the number is, a metal amp and this one gives a pretty good simulation of it if that is your style. Again, this is a practice amp, I only bought it cause it was 35 bucks, but I am impressed to the point that I would like to hear the new VIP II (40 watt) amp. I have seen some Vypyr 75 watt amps for sale used and if this one is any indication, it would be worth serious consideration if the price is good. I haven't really done a lot with the effects as I'm not the biggest effects user, but from what I have tried, I can see someone making good use of this. Now, this being the 15 watt practice model, you don't have the option of the footswitch so you are limited. I give it a 7, but only cause it is a practice amp, but a great one, but you are limited.

The amp looks impressive, but truthfully, it is not like the old Peaveys in that it is not built like a tank, plastic corners and my impression is that you can't just throw it around, i.e.: be careful, this could get damaged if handled roughly. As with most modern amps, it has a lot of plastic on it, and truth be told, it looks good, but you can see that you have to be careful. Unlike the old amps, and the classic series or some of their other high end models, this one is made in China. New, the prices on these are impressive, but without the foot switch, which is pricey, you do have some limitations. Unfortunately, most amps are made in China now, unless you start going into boutique or read (expensive) amps, but Peavey is an established company with a good reputation, so I feel confident that they would stand behind this product.

My overall impression of this amp is very high. For a practice amp, it offers a whole lot, especially in the tone department. It is on par with most amps in its wattage rating as far as price goes, so for in room or back room practicing, this amps fits the bill very well, and for a beginner or one who has been playing for a short bit, this amp will give them the tones that they are trying to play. I am giving a high rating on this as for what it is, it does it great. By the way, I have owned a Line 6 modelling amp, and this one blows it out of the water as far as sound and tone goes, especially the distortion.

Rex Inclitus
    I bought one of these from MF a few years back to use as a practice amp and was shocked at the dismal quality of the build. I think the plywood cabinet is responsible for the poor tone ( tinny IMO ) combined with the fact it is SS. Even my wife laughed when I took it out of the box. To me it is more like a toy so I gave it to my 8 yr old son to noodle around with as he is just learning. The effects are quite poor. You would almost have to be tone deaf to enjoy the sound quality of this amp but at just $99 ( what I paid for mine ) you get what you pay for.