Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

Purchased from: Nevada Music

I have found that I can get very good distorted/ clean/ Fun sounds from this amp, It took me a while to get used to the controls as it can sometimes be quite complicated but once you get over that barrier you can find many different sounds. The amp has meny different 'stompboxes' like Tubescreamer, auto wah, fuzz and then many other effects like tremolo, octaver, flanger. There are 12 Stompboxes, Amp Models and effects, so there's plenty to choose from! You can also edit the amount of reverb and delay there is on the stompboxes and effects and also the strength of the stompboxes and effects. Overall it is a very versatile amp which will cover most styles of music!

Overall, I am happy that I bought this amp, and that I chose it over the 75W version (although 75W may be better for your situation as I will not be using it in a band). I have been playing guitar seriously for around a year and needed an amp that would cover a range of sounds but Metal mainly, and the Vypyr does this well. I like the fact that you can save settings and that you can have some real strange/ fun noises coming out of it as well as the distorted/ clean sounds and that I doubt I would ever need any pedals with this amp. Although Peavey could have spent a little more time making the software correct before launching it and gave it a nice material on some parts (volume knobs, plastic front) Peavey have really created an amazing amp!

This is the one places that I feel let down about the Peavey Vypyr, when it works it is great! But there are some issues about the reliability of it. It has frozen on me twice whilst editing the effects and for many other people there have also been problems, many worse. It also makes some strange noises when turning on/ off sometimes and there is a bit of a hum on it which can be changed if you adjust the pre gain/ post gain carefully. All of the Vypyr Amplifiers are run on software so there are small glitches which cause these problems, the upside though is that it can be updated. At a price, you must buy a separate MIDI to USB cable (Around 30) which you can update it from the Peavey website. This is meant to get rid of the volume problems/ editing problems that people have been complaining about. Another thing is that I think Peavey should have suplied a MIDI > USB cable as it is a pain having to go out and order one Separately. Also build quality could have been better, the volume knobs are cheap and wobble a bit, I'm sure they can be replaced with more solid ones but I would have thought Peavey could have made them a little better. Also, some of the front is plastic and feels really cheap and tacky which is a shame, Some people have taken the front off for a different' look but I think I will just leave it alone.

This is the Peavey Vypyr 30, It is a 30W Solid State Modelling Amplifier which Peavey claim to be 'the most technologically advanced and affordable guitar modelling amplifier available'. It has 24 channel modes with 12 distorted and 12 clean (You Switch between with the press of a button), Many different Amp Models, Stomp Boxes and Effects all set out in a logical order. Originally I was going to purchase the 75W version as it has USB recording but I found out that this 30W version has recording but not in the form of USB, it is the headphone socket/ record out so you can hook it up to a computer and use it with recoding software which is a very big plus! You also get a DVD manual with it and a trial version of Reaper Recording software which may be a little hard to learn but can produce some quality pieces! This is my second amp and I use it to play mainly metal and it suit's me well, you can change the settings easily to make a sound that suit's your playing! The amp is very loud, I have been using it at around volume setting 2 (It goes to 13! ) and I'm sure it would do band practice but I'm not to sure on actual gigging but it defiantly has enough power for a home player. The amp also has 12 spaces where you can save you settings to and remembers the for next time you turn it on, with an extra 400 spaces with the Sanpera II foot pedal which you can also use to control the amp and Switch channels etc. Although I don't have one yet. Another interesting thing about this amp is that I have heard it is made from the same circuit board as the higher end models so it does in fact have a USB slot inside somewhere so there is a possibility with a bit of 'Adjusting' you could have a USB on it (But to be honest there isn't much point as the 'record out' line is also high quality). If I am honest there is not too much point in all of the effects although they can be fun to play around with, I have just saved my settings and used them over and over again but I'm sure some people will find a proper use for them!

Lr-Mtb
    I wouldn't say that it is necessary, but I would imagine you would need it if you played with a band as you can switch channels with it, I don't think many people will use the 400 presets on it but it would also be cool to have and I think you can control basicaly the whole amp with it so its a handy thing to have with it. (I am currently saving for a Sanpera II footswitch)
    Black Paranoia
    i have a 15W one its good but some things are pissing me off its a little complicated but for playing its great