Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

I use an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and it works really well with the Peavey, both are pretty versatile. It suits whatever I wanna play, from Guns N' Roses, to Led Zeppelin, to more modern stuff. Now, you're not going to get exactly what it sounds like, but if you mess around with the settings, you can get pretty close. The clean channel on some of the built in amp models goes pretty loud without starting to get scratchy, on the flip side, the heavier amp models, with high gain and overdrive, is absolutely destroying.

I generally play rock from the 70s-90s, and it works with any of that. it's extremely versatile, and it comes with a ton of effects. Although the effects aren't as good or convenient as a couple pedals, it's great if you don't have money for them, or the whole song uses that distortion or something. I tried out 3-5 different amps, including a Fender amp (pretty decent) and a Marshall MG (30 watt I think?), and I kinda liked the tone from them but they just don't have the dozen different amp model tones that this one has. If it was stolen or lost, and I had to get something from this price range, I'd definately get this again.

This thing has never broken down on me yet, but I've only had it for a year. I'd gig with it without a backup. Only thing I have with it is that I have to turn it on and off a couple times before it works on a cold day. 3-5 times depending on how cold it is, works straight away on warmer days though.

This amp is extremely versatile. In this one amp, there are 12 different amp model tones. It can do anything from a real hot, dirty sound to a really nice clean tone, and anything in between. This thing has 22 different effects, including an auto-wah (basically it just constantly does a wah thing, not too good), various distortions, a chorus effect, a flanger, delay, and tons of other stuff. It has a looper but you can't use it without a pedal. I haven't tried it myself. It takes headphones that work with iPods and MP3s in case you're too extreme for your roommates and neighbors.

krallice
    the sanpera footswitch II will make things a hell of a lot easier and you should definitely get it. its also the ONLY way to use the looper on the amp.
    lee13169
    This thing gets VERY close to randy rhoads tone. With my rr3 i can get crazy train tone np.