Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

Purchased from: GAK

The style of music I tend to write is either bluesy, classic rock or hard rock. And it suits it fine. It can accept effects pedals quite well for the most part (things like wah especially well.) However there does appear to be a slight problem with it. It seems to like to compensate for whatever pedal I use. I can't quite describe what the amp is doing exactly, and it is most definitely NOT my imagination. This is not much of a problem, as it takes a few hours for the amp to fully "compensate" the way it does. And all you have to do is re-set it and it's perfectly fine again. It can produce a heavy metal like sound, but the guitar I use (G-400) it seems too tinny, however an EQ adjustment on the amp will do. It will cover virtually any genre you want it to very well. The Twin Reverb model is CLEAN. Seriously, you want clean, you can HAVE clean man! The distortion is pretty damn good too, depending on the model, it can be a subtle crunch, or a harsh grating sound. And if it isn't quite harsh enough, this thing can emulate a tube screamer, or a fuzzbox.

If you are undecided on what genre you are, and want/need versatility, then get this, no other modeller touches this. The only 2 amps which are comparable are the Roland cube, and the Vox Valvetronix. But if you want MORE stuff and MORE versatility, then get this amp. It can't be beat for versatility. But if you are "slightly" specialised in a handful of genres, then get the Roland or the Vox. And if you are specialized then get a specialized amp. If this was stolen, and if I was still unsure about what genre I prefer to play. I would TOTALLY get another one. However I have started to specialize in certain genres and am going to be looking for a more specialized amp. Oh. And if you turn it on without plugging a guitar into it. It does a light show, which I highly reccomend watching whilst HEAVILY intoxicated.

This amp is closing on it's first birthday, and there are no signs of wear or tear on the outside. I am debating to myself whether or not the knobs are made of plastic or metal. They are a degree or two below room temperature, which suggests metal, but they are light (but not flimsy) which indicates plastic. I am not %100 comfortable using this without backup. Why? Well there isn't really much reason, but I KNOW this thing is dependable, but there is a nagging feeling at the very back of my mind. But this thing hasn't shown ANY signs of breaking down or the programming going haywire.

This is a new amp, and Peaveys' first attempt at a modeller amp too if I'm correct. This thing is a modeller. If you want Joe Satriani, it will do it, if you want a bit of classic rock, go for it. She will cover pretty much everything pretty damn well. Every amp model that it has, has a dirty and "clean" setting. For the cleanest sound, go for a Fender Twin Reverb. It has one headphone socket and one Auxiliary socket. But the weird thing is that they aren't of jack size. they are of the typical headphone socket size, which in my opinion is pretty weird. It has a selection of stompboxes to use, a nice selection of amps to choose from, a large selection of effects to choose from such as an octaver, flanger, delay, reverb, slapback ect. and you can change the mid low and high frequencies as you like. I mostly use this amp in my bedroom, and I can't turn this thing past one, because it gets LOUD REALLY fast. I've only played small gigs, and it's sufficiently loud enough on 2-3, and this thing goes to 13! My opinion is that this is best suited to medium sized gigs. And if you want large gigs, either get the 75 watt, or send it through a PA system.

Lr-Mtb
    I would like to comment, just to say that the Reliability issues that there are (or were in my case) go away after a system update. To do this you will need a USB to MIDI Cable. I picked mine up from Ebay for about 10 and used the information on the Peavey website to sort it out. If the reliability problems were what has been holding you back from buying one, I suggest you have a rethink.
    McTWITCHIN
    hey, i cant help you with tone stuff, its pretty much just a thing of experiments. but of coure to fully get there tone you'd also need there gear, but faithful reproductions of common tones are simple for example: high gain ac/dc - stompbox-bypass amp- k-stein no overdrive (trust me) effects- bypass fiddle with high/mid/low etc for taste delicious!!
    Gibbhoy
    Avoid, avoid, avoid. I tried this amp at a local dealership and in the 30 minutes I played on it, the electronics froze 4 times. Left the shop with a Vox valvetronic VT30 - sweeter sounding, more versatile, classier looking and after two months of playing on it, have not regretted the decision.