Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Cosmo Music

I am using an Ibanez RG370DX with stock pick-ups. It is a $500 guitar new made for rock. This amp at times can be really noisy, espeically when sitting/standing near it and/or using a high gain channel. There are software updates though that are meant to fix this though I am not sure that they do much. This amp can produce a variety of tones.I think that the clean tones on this amp are of higher quality than the distorted, but the distortion has more variety.The clean channel does not distort very quickly.

I play mostly pop-punk and punk rock such as green day and sum 41. I sometimes play heavier or lighter music. This suits my music style well. As with all solid state amps, these will not sound amazing. But if you are beginner looking for a decent amp this will suit you great! Moving up from a horrible ION 15 watt practice amp with one channel, I thought this was amazing! If it was stolen or lost, I would not buy it again as I hope to move up to a tube amp but I would reccomend it to anybody looking for a cheap 30 watt amp. I only compared to the Line 6 spider 3 and chose this as it was a better deal, has more features and the distortion on the spider sounds like crap. I wish the sanpara was included though.

I have had this amp for 6 months and nothing has happened. It is well built and if you treat it well, there is no need to worry. If I was gigging with this I would go without a backup. This might not be a high enough wattage for gigging depending on where you are preforming. It is an open-back amp and therefore isn't too heavy.

The Peavey Vypyr is a solid state modeling amp. It has a headphone jack.It has 12 amp channels modeling famous amps including the Fender Twin and Peavey 6505. It has 12 effects and 12 "stompboxes" (effects). This does not include Delay and Reverb. Delay, reverb, a stompbox, and an an effect can all be used simultaniously. The most useful are Tubescream, Tremolo, Phaser, Flanger, and Chorus. There are also some crazy effects such as Reverse (which plays what play backwards) and Octaver (which plays the note you play one or two octaves lower). Out of these 24 effects, some have little use. All of these effects are customizable by two knobs in which the purpose will vary depending on the effect. For example, the auto wah stompbox has one for depth and one for speed. The amp also has pre gain and post gain knobs and a three band equalizer. It also has 3 banks of 4 presets (12) to save your settings. If you buy a sanpara footswitch, you can Switch between what will now be 250 presets, use the looper, and control the wah. All of these features are amazing for a $300 amp and the variety of tones will suit any genre (with the right amount of tweaking).

lildude_6859
    why make a back for it? you can use the back for storage for picks, paper, pens, pencils, slides, straps, and anything else...
    empirex
    Is this amp too loud for home use - I mean would I be better off with the Line 6 Spider IV 30 . I haven't had experience with both, but from what I understand with the Spider IV 30 you can play it low and still get a good sound. If the maximum (without disturbing the neighbourhood) I can play the Vypyr is 2 then maybe the Spider IV is the way to go?
    RockenChich
    Skysc wrote: is the headphone line out really that bad .. cause im play a lot with headphone during the evening . thx .
    No, it's great actually. Because i had a really crappy pair of earphones, the sound was crappy. Now i have a $40 pair, its tons better.
    empirex wrote: Is this amp too loud for home use - I mean would I be better off with the Line 6 Spider IV 30. I haven't had experience with both, but from what I understand with the Spider IV 30 you can play it low and still get a good sound. If the maximum (without disturbing the neighbourhood) I can play the Vypyr is 2 then maybe the Spider IV is the way to go?
    empirex
    RockenChich wrote: Don't do it man, the line 6 doesn't come close to offering everything the vypyr has. Plus, if you ever decide to play a gig, you can just turn the volume up some more. With the line 6, you'll probably have it cranked up already.
    Thanks man - the vypyr it is then