Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

I play a LTD KH 202 and a LTD V300...both sound very good through this amp...however no matter how I tried I couldn't get an amp generated distortion that I really LOVED. I like to play mostly metal and either the distortion is just not quite crunchy enough...or becomes overly thick and undefined...but then again I'm very picky with my distortion sound. The clean channels vary greatly from amp to amp also. From a dull sound on amps like the DLX and DZL to a bright crispy clean on the Twin. The amp has quite a few different effects including: delay, chorus, phase, rotating speaker, auto wah, flange, octaver, and a bunch more. It also has a looper but it cannot be used without buying the $100 Sanpera 1 footswitch.

This amp is a good match for any style of music. I have been playing for most of my life off and on and this is definitely the funnest amp I've ever owned. If this were lost or stolen I would definitely upgrade to one of the larger tube Vypyrs. All of the effects are my favorites. I love just dialing something in and seeing where the effect takes me! I bought this amp because of all of the toys and it was well worth the money. I wish I had the footswitch for it and I also wish it had the USB port like the higher end Vypyr models.

It is fairly dependable but I would not use it on a gig because it just doesn't have the juice...although Peavey has these all the way up to 2X12 120W...so maybe one day I will upgrade. The amp has never broken down or anything, but I haven't had it very long.

The Vypyr 30 is a small solid state modeling amp. It is extremely versatile due to the fact it has multiple amp sounds, rack effects, and stomp box effects. It also has a clean and gain channel for each of the 12 amps it models (all of which are other Peavey models i believe.) I use it mainly to play at home and it is not quite loud enough to keep up with a live drummer. It has a 3.5mm headphone jack (also can be used to connect to a PC and record) and a 3.5mm aux input also. I do wish it had the USB port like the higher end Vypyr models have.

el_capitan_666
    Ok, iv been looking for an awesum amp to suit my guitar playing (thrash, death, awesumness). this amp sounds amazing, if someone has one and wishes to offload, definately get in contact
    greydelta38
    Great amp, great sound. Hook a high powered ZOOM effects pedal with a powerful OVD and distortion setting and it sounds like Heaven. 10/10
    greydelta38
    guitarsftw wrote: sounds cool, how necessary would the sanpera fs be?
    Without it you cant use the looper, but otherwise it's not important unless you are playing with it live. Otherwise I would recommend the Sanpera.