Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

The clean channels are by far the selling points of this amp. My favorite is the Fender Twin channel on clean. It's very dark and warm, which sounds nice through my Schecter Damien 6 and sounds VERY smooth with my friend's Les Paul. I use this setting to play stuff from John Mayer to RHCP. Using the Fender Deluxe dirty channel, you can somehow receive acoustic-like tones. There's also a British channel, which is unique in its own nature. I don't notice any distortion on the clean channels when cranked, and it's very quiet when there's nothing being played. The distortion channel, on the other hand, is another story. It seems to make any guitar- even my Schecter with its stock EMG-HZ passives (they're very good!)- sound like a mudded mess. It also produces a lot of unneeded noise, and has no backbone to it. When I got the amp, I had only been playing 6 months through an Ibanez 10 Watt starter amp and originally thought the distortion was an upgrade. Now, I never use the distortion channels, sometimes finding myself using a Boss MT-2 on the Twin setting or, shockingly, using the same pedal in my Ibanez amp! Stay clean with this one.

For when I play Alternative, Rock, and Metal, the distortion just won't cut it. Its too much highs and nowhere NEAR enough bottom end But as a practice/experimenting amp (on the clean channel), it's loaded with necessary effects that all sound good, and even some fun ones that you would have no use for, but are great to play with. It's great for when I play some Alternative/Jazzy stuff, as well as the Acoustic stuff you find on the internets. Clean Tone-Freaks will go crazy over the deep, warm lows and the punchy, staccato highs, as well as mids for all in between. Great effort by Peavey. Just work on the distortion for a while.

Being that it's only 30 watts, it could never stand any gig without serious miking But for practice/rehearsal with my band, it stands up very well when cranked. I haven't dropped it, but it feels like it can survive a minor fall. Great use of materials, and a really nice handle to carry with.

I got the amp in December 2009 and assume it was made earlier that year. It's Peavey's first entry into the modeling amp category. 30 watts, solid state. 12" Blue Marvel Speaker. It has 12 amp models each with 2 channels (for 24 total), 12 stompbox effects, and 11 rack effects (12 if you have a footswitch, which activates the looper). It has editable parameters for each effect, and editable pre-gain, post-gain, and low mid and high EQs, as well as reverb and tap-tempo delay. It also has a line in and headphone/record out jacks. It's probably one of the most tonally diverse amps on the market, allowing you to mess with effects you'd normally have to pay for. It also seems to have a built-in noise gate to an extent. It's a lot of stuff, but it proves that Peavey has tone customizing down to a science. Unfortunately, the volume knob is a bit too much, showing that you can crank it up to 13, but it gets quieter and distorted as you pass 10.