Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

Purchased from: Internet

I am using an Epiphone Special II primarily and also a Stratocaster, and it sounds terrific. One thing I love about this amp is that its very loud. It goes to 13 and I overpower the drums at 4! The only downside is that the amps don't have very good cruch tones, though the clean channels were better than I expected.

I have been playing for about 2 years and I would definatly buy this amp again, it is the best you can get for it's price. My favourite feature is probably the pitch shifter which can come in handy for 2 part guitar songs being played with one guitar (example: Rock you Like a Hurricane intro, Hotel California outro)my least favorite is the wah mainly because I prefer the sound from my Cry Baby pedal. The only thing I wish was better was that the audio out had better sound quality, it doesn't sound very good directly plugging into a computer, or through headphones.

I have heard alot about this amp being unreliable, but after 4 months of alot of use (and travelling) it has yet to fail me (even after many drops)I don't really do anything in way of service other than not turning it on for more than 5-6 hours (it does get a little hot after a while).

This amp was a huge step up from my Peavey Rage 158 practice amp, It is incredibly versatile. I usually use the 6505 model for Hard Rock and Metal (Van Halen, Scorpions, Ozzy Ozbourne etc..) and the Marshall Plxi has a real nice clean tone. Its got 12 amps and 11 Stompboxes which can be used to recreate many artists sounds. It was a little hard to use at fist but over time I got used to it. You can save up to 12 settings on the amp (many more with the optional Sanpera Pedal, which also enables the looper) another handy feature I like is the audio input that I plug my MP3 in to play backtracks.