Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

I am using this amplifier with a Vintage SG300 (I think), normally on bridge but sometimes on neck. I have also recently taken to using the mid pickup selection, which I have discovered to be excellent with this amp. I normally play metal, and it is alright for this genre, if a little bit 'blurred' on the preset metal tones. As with all amps (from my experience), this becomes noisy quickly, and therefore is sometimes difficult to use at home. It can make a huge selection of effects, which I will list here, as I'm boring like that: Phaser, reverse, rotating speaker, octaver, pitch shifter, envelope filter (a kind of phaser), flanger, bass boost, two distortion boosts, chorus, tremolo, and more besides. The clean channel is distorted on the metal settings, as they are not expected to be used very frequently, but on most of the lower gain settings, they are very pleasant. The distortion on the high end is ridiculous, and you can have fun if you don't mind a bit of note blurring here and there.

For metal playing, my dream amp is a Blackstar, but as I am on a budget, and cannot afford one of those beauties, I have found this a reliable and decent gigging amp. I have been playing for 7 years now (I am 15 at the time of typing), and own two electrics (my other being a Squier Strat), two nylon string guitars (one in serious need of renovation but beautiful nevertheless). I love the way that you can change relatively seamlessly between two different 'tones', but dislike the very fine volume control. I compared it to a Line 6 30W amp, but chose this due to it's reputation in metal circles. In short, a good, usable guitar for all genres with only a couple of small niggles.

I have never experienced a problem with this amp. After dropping it down a flight of stairs accidently, I discovered it is very durable, and I would certainly use it without backup at a gig. I score it perfectly, as it is solidly built, works consistently, and is generally brilliant in this field.

Firstly, I don't actually know what year this was made in, so I'm very sorry. This amp is OK for all types of music, specialising in rock and blues if I had to choose specific genres. As a jazz amplifier, it is decent, but sometimes the tones are too harsh for playing it (my guitar probably doesn't help this). It has one channel, meaning that channel switching is pointless, and has a headphone jack as well as an auxiliary jack and a connection for the Sanpera pedal. I wish that it had a second channel, but for an amplifier for the price it was I wasn't expecting it to. Part of me wishes it was a valve amp, but I know that it couldn't have all the cool effects if it was.

AaronIsCrunchy
    tipofthehat wrote: I have the 15 watt Vyper, and its got this little LED that keeps a tempo. Would/does anyone ever use that?
    I have used this on a couple of occasions. If you are going through a track slowly and just want to get the hang of the timings at a slower speed it's great. If you're trying to use it at high speed it's useless, as I find I'm concentrating too much on the playing. Hope that helped :
    sl1pk0t001
    Lr-Mtb put in his review that it makes a humming noise sometimes, this could just be poor shielding on the guitar, i have never had this although i have had a static noise sometimes when starting up but that disappears as soon as you pick up the guitar
    h3llh4mm3r
    The Digitech Death Metal Distortion through the green B-Cat amp model will rip your head off.
    AaronIsCrunchy
    Oops. On my review that I posted I said that the durability and reliability was excellent. I lied. It's broken on me and is really rather annoying >:-( Sorry.
    feathers632
    I am wondering if I should sell my VYPYR 30 and Sanpaper II pedal. I hadn't used it in ages because I practice through a Roland VG 99 with Roland Divided Pickup attached to PRS Paul Allender. Recently trying out the VYPYR 30 again I can't get used to the mono sounds. I've become so used to stereo effects that the Viper sounds rather muddled due to the mono sound. I got it up against a wall, not sure about the bass either. I just find it hard using mono effects. I run my VG99 with headphones or active monitors.