Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

Purchased from: Local music store

I use an Epiphone Sheraton II with humbucker pickups. As said I try to get SRV to Led Zeppelin tones, theese can be reached pretty OKAY by having patcience and cycling through settings, but I have now bought a new amp which is much better for blues and crucnh tones. On the other side, this amp can do more distorted sounds pretty good. Sometimes I play some Van Halen stuff wich this amp handels great, it can also get a really, really distorted sound if you tweak all the settings, but then the sound will get a bit noisy. If you are in to bluesey stuff, look elsewhere, but if you are more of a metalhead with a tight budget, you might have found your amp! I'll give this a 6 because of the fact that it can handle distorted sounds pretty good, but if it would have been a rating of personal taste, it would have gotten a 4.

When I was going to buy a new amp a year ago, I wasn't very experienced at all, by then I had only been playing electric guitar for a little more than a year and I had to make a choise between this an a Line6 spider which sucks big time as any guitar player ought to know. Compared to the line6, I thought this amp was freaking awesome. If this amp was lost or stolen, I would not care much, because I have a new amp. Don't be scared by my review if you plan on buying this, it is actually a pretty descent amp if your'e in to hard rock or metal.

If I were to gig with this amp, I wouldn't bring a backup, even if I had one. From what I know solid-state amps won't break in an instance very often. I have had this amp for about a year now and haven't had a single problem until a week ago, when I ALMOST maxed it out in the garage just to see how loud it went, it went pretty loud but now there is an irritating rattle whenever I play. But I guess that is kinda my fault, no amps feels good by getting maxed out.

The Peavey Vypyr has plenty of features for all styles of music, but it really feels like Peavey has put more attention to quantity than quality on the Vypyr. There are 11 stomp boxes, 12 amps (each with 2 channels) and 11 rack effects simulated on the Vypyr, it also has pre gain, treble, mid, and bass, post gain, digital reverb, master volume, aux in and a headphone jack. You can play anything from smooth jazz to hardcore metal cycling through the different settings, but as said, it won't do anything well. I mainly play clean blues to a little more crunchy classic rock, think SRV to Led Zeppelin, but sometimes I just mess around and try to get ridiculous sounds, it can do the latter pretty alright, but the others, meeh. You can't blame the amp for its features. The one thing I miss is tubes! But there is a tube version of this amp also if you want a warmer sound.

jlyndon666
    Despite all the negative reviews. I just bought this amp today. If anyone is considering getting this amp. Get it! You won't be disapointed.
    MaggaraMarine
    The featured reviewer is too excited about the amp. You could write a neutral review that says the good and bad points but doesn't say "it's SO good" or "it sucks" or something like that. The featured review is one of the "it's SO good" reviews. If you like the product you can still write a neutral review. You don't need to show that you are so excited about your new amp.