Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 30

Purchased from: Used (with sanpera I)

I mainly use a Fender MIM fat strat, and sometimes an Ibanez RG2EX2. Its sounds great. It'll do just about anything, from crystal clear cleans on the Twin amp setting, to harsh distortion on 5150. It'll buzz some on high-gain settings, as will any amp. If you crank the pre/post gains on certain clean amp settings it will start to break up, which I love. This is also easy not to do. For those of you struggling to dial in the right tones, check out vypyrsettings.fr.

I play everything from quiet church music to borderline metal. It works no matter what if you know how to dial in the tone you want. I've been playing for about 8 years now (I'm 15). I've use similar amps like the Line 6 Spider, which sounds very thin, and the flextone, which is comparable. The Vypyr blows the spider out of the water, and I prefer it over the flextone as well. I'm actually currently looking to replace it with something simpler, but not because of the actual amp. Running a pedalboard through this would be redundant, therefore simpler amp. Other than a power sponge, this amp has it all. If you want a variety of tones on a budget, get it, and also get the Sanpera I pedal. You won't regret it.

This amp has let me down once. This was 100% my fault however. This goes back to the headphone jack. I left a 1/4 inch converter in, hit it, and until I got it fixed it was convinced that headphones were always in. This says nothing about the amp, only my clumsiness. The only concern I have is that one of the screw holding the handle on stripped, so not I have to carry it like a box, but that's not really a concern. I have no hesitation gigging this without a backup, mostly because I don't have a backup, but it has also never let me down.

I bought this amp a couple years ago off of craigslist, so I'm not quite sure when it made. When I bough it it was in perfect condition. Obviously, as a modeling amp the Vypyr is very versatile. I've used it in the worship band at my church, and in my heavy rock band. It'll do anything. It has 3 banks with 4 channels each, but with the Sanpera II pedal this goes up to 200 channels. Let me just say this: the amp is useless without the pedal. Unless you're only planning on using it at home or in the studio, don't buy it without the pedal. That said, with the pedal it's amazing, and I rarely need more than the 4 channels readily available with my Sanpera I. It has a headphone jack/record out, which I have used exactly once (I'll talk about that later). I rarely use this at home. The volume knob is very sensitive below about 4, resulting very loud sounds. Anything over 1 is too loud for home, and anything under 2 doesn't produce the tone I want. See the dilemma? This is not a practice amp! I wish it had a power sponge like the higher watt models. It's solid state, but has true analog distortion, (not just emulating it like other reviews say) and uses Peavey's transtube technology. Not quite as warm as a real tube amp, but very close.

MaggaraMarine
    Semperfidelis23 wrote: Just a heads up, the tap tempo light is not actually a metronome, but a tool for the delay. When you have delay and echo on, you press it twice, maybe like tap tap, or tap.....tap, and up to a certain length of time, it will echo in the same pattern that you pressed it. It's not really useful, but it's a fun little toy to play with.
    Tap tempo for delay is very useful. You don't have to tweak the delay time knob, you just tap the tempo and you have the time delay time you want. Different songs need a different delay time (some need fast and some need slow) so between the two songs you don't need to turn any knobs, just tap the delay time you want.
    ptguitar
    I'm considering the roland cube 40XL or this... And still... I dunno...
    megashawn4
    I want one of these. I've seen some stuff on youtube about it, and it is just overall amazing.