Vypyr 30 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Peavey: Vypyr 30

Purchased from: Amazon

Using it with a Washburn RX50 with USM pickups. Good combination. I got for doom/stoner rock/sludge sort of styles and it is very easy to get those, it's more a case of deciding which settings are best for you. There is a huge variety in the sounds you can play. You can get light cleans on the green classic channel, or you can go on the red 6505 and worship satan with chuggy riffs. The clean channels are lower volume than the distorted ones, so you need to be careful when switching between them. Unless this was mic'd up, you couldn't use this for gigs at all, but you can easily get your house rocking.

Very versatile and quite cheap considering how much you can get from it, but not reliable enough. I have been able to create sounds to suit my needs, but at the same time, it's solid-state so even if it tries to recreate the sounds of a tube amp, it's a bit too flat sounding for me. However, if you want to swap between styles at the push of a button and need a good practice amp, this would work easily. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't replace it - but hey, I'm getting a tube amp soon so I wouldn't need to.

I wouldn't say this is a reliable amp at all, to put it simply. First up, I've got a vibration problem in mine which means when using higher notes - basically anything past the 12th fret - it hums like a maniac due to vibration. I've tried it out on various guitars and tunings and the issue is still there. It trashes cleans completely. My brother has this amp and it has the same problem. Also, it is quite easy to overwrite saved settings without meaning to, so you need to be very careful otherwise you will lose that setting you spent hours creating. Bash it up and it will probably be ruined too.

Well it's a modelling amp, so there are a buttload of built in effects and different amp styles. There is something for everyone. It doesn't matter if you want clean funk or over-distorted death metal, you can absolutely get it from this amp. 30 watt solid state - it's a practice amp/beginner amp. It does the job there. There's a headphone jack, but you can easily get bedroom-safe volumes out of this with the right tweaking. There is an optional footswitch for those wishing to swap between channels and effects.

marcus262
    The amp sounds better than cheap marshalls, or vox. I bought it because of Diezel model, but was very disapointed with that sound. Overall, they totaly ruinded the amp with its built in noise gate, which just sucks the tone, breaks the notes and gives no sustain. Selled it after 2 weeks.
    GuitarCrazyJam
    Which one should i buy....the Peavey Transtube Envoy 110 or the Peavey vyper 30? Please give me some help...I'm struggling on what guitar amplifier to get. My price range is from 150-200 euro. I have an ibanez electric guitar also. I would be much appreciated if someone gave me some advice...thank you!