Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

I play my Schecter Hellraiser through this amp and I love it. It suits my music style very well, b/c I like to play a bit of everything. I know everybody says that so if you're everybody get this amp! Seriously, I get beautifully thick and punchy clean to classic rock to earstomping death metal tones. I don't care what style of music you play, this amp can do it. Oh yea, this amp can get very very loud. Just replace the speaker with a Swamp Thang or a Celestion or whatever and you won't hear the sound break up at all. The great thing about this amp is that there's no such thing as a terrible sound. They all sound pretty good. I've only come across a few terribad ones in the almost 3 months I've had this sucker. Then there's the clean and dirty channels. There's some good amp models that work well on dirty, but some dirty channels sound like absolute crap. It picks up too much extranneous noise and it just sucks in general. I prefer the clean channels with an overdrive or distortion stomp box for my "dirty" sounds. Apparently it has a pretty authentic tube sound. Way closer than the Line 6 or Vox's at least. That's what I've heard anyways. I don't know how tube it sounds, I just know I like it better than Line 6. The only weird thing about this amp (prolly just my amp) is that it makes a weird farting noise through my headphones when I turn it off.

Overall, this is an excellent amp. I use this for practicing and jamming and it's a great match. I listen and play all different types of music (or at least attempt to). The only thing I didn't really like is Peavey not providing a footcontroller or at least offer one at a cheaper price because there's some features on here like the looper and wah that can't be used w/o it. For the Sanpera foot controller you're looking at $80 for the SAnpera I and $180 for the Sanpera II. If it were stolen I'd hunt the guy down, kick his ass, tie him to a chair, and play with the speaker right next to his ear on 13 until his ears bled. Then I'd take his wallet and buy the amp again. Or... if he had enough I'd get a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier.

As far as reliability goes... I don't really know. I think it's pretty reliable, but it's never left my house and I've never gigged with it. Some guy said the wood was a little cheap and others think the knobs are a little cheap. Meh, it's find for what I use it for and that's good enough for me. I'll tell you one thing though. It's heavy. Really heavy. If you kick it, your foots gonna Hurt.

The amp was released just this year in October 2008. It features 12amp models, 11 stompboxes, and 11 effects. It's an open back and it's got a 12" speaker. The speaker is a blue marvel which sucks, but at low volumes it sounds great. Other than the crap speaker, this guitar is pretty much perfect to me. It also has a high quality usb port so you can record directly on to you computer and a studio headphone jack. It's the 35mm, so your ipod headphones will fit. And of course it's got a volume knob... which goes all the way up to 13! There's also a power sponge thing on there, but I have no idea what it does. What's the difference between the stompboxes and effects, you ask? Well, the stompboxes are useful and the effects are mostly for fun. Yes, there are effects that some may use (like the flanger which is pretty cool), but I personally don't see myself using a rotary speaker, octaver, or reverse. Then there's the amp models. Now, I've never heard each of the amps themselves so I can't say if they're spot on, but for what its worth they all sound good. Each amp model has a clean and dirty channel. Which brings me to the EQ. There's pre-gain, post-gain, lows, mids, and highs. Very customizable. With the stompboxes, you can tap the "effects" button and determine how much wah or overdrive you want in your sound. Again, very customizable. The amp also has 12 preset channels, so if you find a sound you like you can save it. Saves a lot of memorizing. You can get 400 presets with the SAnpera I and II footswitch, but seriously, Who needs 400 presets. The footswitch is still pretty cool though cuz you got a pedal for wah, pitch shifting, and volume and you get a looper! Sweet! I know that's a lot of writing, but there's a lot of features, so if you read everything congratulations. Oh yea... an after though. If you leave the amp alone, it does this crazy cool light show for you.

BonezShaker
    HalfBlackJack wrote: I like my amps like i like my women! Simple and not hard to control
    lol. I like my amps like i like my women too they always dominate me
    guy_on_guitar
    This goes out to anyone... but what do you think about the 60 Watt TUBE amp Vypyr, compared to this or anything else in the price range? I need a new amp and it's sort of in my price range, and i've heard that the tubes are better than the digital amps...
    guy_on_guitar
    OH, I forgot to mention what I'd like to use it for . I'm into playing lots of heavy stuff, like Slipknot, Bullet for my Valentine, stuff like that, but i also need a good Clean sound for my softer playing... is the 60 watt Tube vypyr good for that stuff?
    captain pervey
    i have a shefield and a celestion what one would siut this amp better?the blue marvel farts out