Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

Well, all the models and effects sound really good to be short and sweet. This is both a plug-and-play and tweaker's amp. You could just go to the Rect. and throw the pre-gain to 10 and be in death metal zone, but if you really search for that amazing tone, it sounds sooo good. Also, the cleans have tons of head room, and lots of variation in breakup and tones in different amp models. The amp can be noisy if you don't mess with it, but I have spent a few months now, and I absolutely love it. I run straight into the amp, so noise has to be dealt with within the amp, and it does it's job very well.

All besides that stupid pedal and some knobs simply amazes me. I am a researcher to the max. And, my research and going to Guitar Center to play it proved that this amp is great for me. I play in a hardcore band, and it handles our style right down to it. The cleans are amazing, with tons of bass, and I have effects that I've found and made that are just trippy... buy this amp. It's the best thing besides a tube amp out on the market right now.

This amp is one heavy sucker. But, my arm has gotten used to it. I started gigging recently, and it's just another thing now. Speaking of which, it handles venue levels very well. It goes to flippin' 13, and has a post gain knob I never crank past 4, and I defeat our drummer (Who is ridiculous). The knob caps (the shiny chrome looking plastic) has fallen off, but I just glued them back. And, one of the switches sticks every now and then, but nothing serious. It performs very well, and hasn't failed me yet.

I bought this amp new Christmas 2008. It's a huge upgrade from my Crate 15w.:) First off, it's solid state (it's stressed that it is 'analog', but same difference), has 12 channels (more on this later), 2 types of every amp model (24 total, clean/overdriven), 2 sets of effects (24 total), delay and reverb, and 2 gain stages, master volume and power sponge. For all of this, I would give it a 10. It is more than worth the models and effects. But, the reason I gave it an 8 is because of the channel switching problem. You have to buy a ridiculously expensive pedal to utilize them, and the loop effect as well. But, I have all 12 in use with all types of tones and effects, and just have to reach down between songs. But, no in-song switching for this amp without the pedal.

boofhead115
    Lol, stop complainin about a $300 dollar amp, im an aussie it cost me $850 for the amp + $600 for the Sanpera II foot switch, even tho this amp cost its worth it's friggin sick, tho the novelty of tones of stombox features and effects hav finally worn off