Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

Price paid: £ 179.99

Purchased from: Dawson's

I use the amp with a Jackson Dinky, which has very hot Seymour Duncan humbuckers. The range of tones is awesome; you can get a real dirty blues tone out of it or a creamy distorted tone. The reverb sounds extremely genuine, the delay is not as good, but is on par with the delay from a Roland Cube. I play jazz, prog metal and general heavy metal - the amp sounds superb for all of these. The clean tones are too lush. There is a fair amount of headroom, the clean tone only really distorts after about 2/3 volume... Which is extremely loud! The distortion is extremely brutal if you set the amp correctly - there are about 4 or 5 different amp models which exhibit the most face-melting of distortion all for different applications. What is notable about this amp is that it models Dimebag Darrell's amp the Krankenstein. Play a harmonic on this model and you will weep!

The amp is a perfect match for nearly all musical styles. Granted, it is a jack of all trades, not particularly a 'master' of any, but it is extremely close. I have been playing for about 2 years now, and own a Roland Cube 20W and of course my beloved Jackson Dinky. If it were stolen or lost, and I had enough money, I'd probably go and buy a Roland Cube 80 with the foot switches, but I doubt I'd be able to cough up an extra 150. When I chose this amp, I compared it with the other major players in the modelling amp scene - the Roland Cube 80, Line 6 Spider IV and Vox AD50VT. The Peavey won just because of the number of possibilities, the versatility and the lower price than the other three. In a way, I regret purchasing the Roland - the Peavey has been a nuisance and to be frank looks particularly tacky... I WISH IT COULD BE MORE RELIABLE!

EXTREMELY unreliable. I am disappointed in Peavey. Only use this at a gig without a backup if you have no other choice - it can be extremely temperamental. As I said, I received the amp as a Christmas present - within a few hours, the Sanpera foot pedal was not working and within a few days, I would Switch the amp on and there would be an initial burst of sound, then nothing whatsoever. The sound worked through the headphones and USB out, and the speaker was emitting sound with my iPod plugged into the auxiliary input. I took the amplifier back to the shop and received another model. This worked fine up until yesterday, when exactly the same problem as before occurred. I have been told to patch the amp, but you have to own a USB/MIDI interface to do this - being a student at school, it is hard to conjure the money required for such a thing! My replacement Sanpera has been a little temperamental, but on the whole quite reliable.

I got the amp for Christmas '09, it was brand new from Dawson's. It has an insane amount of features, you can play anything from the heaviest of metal to the bluest of blues. The sheer amount of variation on what clean or distorted tones you can get is breathtaking. With the Sanpera I/II foot pedals, you can Switch between different preset - each preset has a separate, controllable reverb and delay, a real 'stompbox' effect, such as the Tube Screamer or analogue phase, and one of Peavey's own 'rack' effects. To be honest it could be seen as overkill, the amount of effects you get, but it all goes into making one of the most versatile modelling amps out there. The Sanpera also has a looper, wah, volume pedal and a more advanced tuner than on the amp. On the front, there is an auxiliary input, a headphones out and a USB out, for recording directly to a computer. There is not one thing that's left off this amp, truly superb. 75W is ample power for a small gig, the amp has a massive amount of headroom.