Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

Purchased from: Oasis Guitars

I play using a Washburn X50Pro, got a couple of Seymour Duncans in there, 59 reissue and Custom Custom. Again as I've pointed out earlier I play a wide range of styles and the Vypyr is very good for all of them. Obviously it is not perfect at everything, but you cannot expect it to be. If you want the best blues/metal/rock or whatever style tone then you have to buy an amp that is specifically built for that style. So for musicians who havn't got a particular genre they play this amp is great. This amp is very loud, goes up to 13! In my bedroom I have it at 2 simply because it is a very loud amp. Some settings are louder than others but most of the time they are all the same noise level. The volume on this amp means you should be able to play small gigs with it. The Vypyr can make petty much any sound you need. I've had this amp for over a year and I'm still discovering settings and sounds. The best way to find this out is to see for youself and have a play on the amp. I don't think I've found any case of the clean sounds being distorted, but then again I've never pushed the amp beyond 8 or 9 out of 13 so I wouldn't say it is non existant. Distortion on this amp depends on the amp model you are using as well as pedals. You can get a lot of distortion though if thats your thing.

Overall this is a great amp, my problems with it were due to Peavey not putting correct fuses in (doesn't happen anymore) and a problem with their carrier system which I expect is very uncommon. I bought this amp because I wanted something future proof as after 2 and a half years of playing I need something in case I do join a band, and it made more sense to buy this than buy a smaller amp only to upgrade later on. If this amp were stolen I would definately buy another Vypyr, whether it would be the 75watt I am unsure. I would possibly consider buying the Tube 60 watt version if I had the money to do so. My only problem is it doesn't have an Acoustic simulator but you can buy those. I chose this amp over a Line 6 Spider III 75watt, both were a similar price but while I was waiting for my amp to arrive the shop let me borrow the afformentioned amp and I'm very glad I chose the Vypyr. It has a much better sound to it, more natural whereas the Line 6 sounded digital. Also more reliable than the Spider III series. I would thoroughly reccomend this amp to anybody.

This is the one area where the Vypyr has let me down slightly. After having the amp just over a year (literally only 1 day after having it a year) the fuse blew. Now this won't happen to everyone, it happened to me simply because the first models shipped to the UK had American fuses, and over here we have a higher voltage, obviously those who know your physics know what happens next but for those of you who don't it basically means when there is a power surge too much power goes into the amp and the fuse melts. Now the problem is easy to rectify, but the amp has to go back to Peavey, if you do it or a store does it then the warranty is void. Peavey then dissapointed me with their service, they sent people to pickup my amp (from the store) but they had all the wrong details etc and then it was another 10 days before they got the correct details and actually collected my amp. I had to go 6 weeks without it just because of Peavey messing around and not being organised. I would gig with this amp, it used to lockup if you turned it on with the guitar plugged in but since updating the firmware it has been fine.

Got this amp in early 2009, first shipment the store got from the USA, technically got it in 2008 as thats when I paid for it but Peavey didn't think it wise to get them instore for Christmas 08 for some reason. I find this amp to be extremely versatile almost to the point where it is ridiculous with the amount of options available. I play a variety of genres and can get all the sounds I need from this amp such as blues, metal, rock, punk, funk. Basically you name it, the Vypyr can do it (and do it well I might add). Amp models feature a green and red mode (red mode is more distorted) so that instantly double up the amount of settings and tones you can get. The Vypyr is also packing loads of effects and stompboxes, some of which are more useful than others. However my only qualm with this amp is that it lacks an Acoustic simulator, this is even more annoying when there are some useless effects such as octaver and pitch shifter. Also you need to buy one of the Sanpera footpedals for more control of stomp boxes and effects, just a quick example of why. Lets say you are playing a song, the whole song is a normal setting (no effects) but the solo uses Wah or other effects, you would have to stop and change it on the amp. That is why you need the effects pedal. This amp is perfect for what I need. I bought this versin rather than the 30watt as this is more future proof should I join a band and start gigging. The volume on this amp goes very high, I turned it up to 4/13 and drowned out the drummer I was playing with.

Magic_Bryan
    Very weak amp. Tried it twice in store while shopping round and experienced problems both times. Looks cheap and tacky, and although there are a lot of sounds available, the actual modelling quality isn't all that great. Speaker seems weak and although it does go loud, sound quality drops off rapidly. Big outlay on the footpedals to get the most out too - good luck finding a working one second hand. Expensive, fun bedroom toy with (literally) superfluous flashing lights modes, but you wouldn't want to use one in any live situation. I did A/B comparisons with this, Spider Jam 75 and Roland Cube 80X, and as I want something I can actually rely on to emit sound in a small hall and not have the knobs fall off, went for the Roland. Review coming soon.
    ciadude2
    Some of the earlier models are pieces of crap, but if you get a good one it's... well, good. I have a 75 watt and honestly some of the amp models aren't really to my liking, but the cleans are for the most part great. The distortion is mediocre on most of the models though. I have gigged with this(it's plenty loud to keep up with drums, even down at 3 or 4) and if you know what you're doing, generally you can get some pretty awesome tones from it. The price is ridiculously good for the value. I wouldn't give it a 10... probably an 8-9, somewhere between there because of the crappy distortions on a few of the models(to be honest, the Krankenstein model sounds better than the actual tube amp itself, and that's the one I use for the most part). Tweaking the EQ usually solves that issue though. If you're low on cash, it's a good amp until you can get a full tube amp, and it sure kicks the ass of anything Line 6 has put out so far.