Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Peavey: Vypyr 75

Price paid: A$ 580

Purchased from: Kosmic

I'm using my crappy Ibanez RG170DX, not a great guitar, but does the job. It suits my musical style (Dream Theater, Racer X, etc) I definitely recommend you check this out. There is a bit of humhumhumhum with this amp, but I'm sure a firmware update will do the job. It will occasionally hum when you chuck a tubescreamer with max gain onto a high gain amp, but other than that, it is great! The clean amps (Twn,dlx) don't get very distorted when you crank it, in my opinion, I do think this amp sounds a heap better louder.

This is a very, very versitile amp, for you Americans out there, I'd look into getting a Tube 60 instead, or a tube amp. For what I payed, I think this has done the job quite well. I don't own any other fancy gear, but this amp is all I need for the time being. I had wished I asked if the amp came with any foodswitches etc, as the unboxing of this amp wasn't very exciting at all.. If this was stolen, I'd probably look into getting a tube amp..

Reliability.. This amp has died on me twice so far. I took it into my music shop, luckily, it was under warranty, so I got it fixed for free, even though it took about 3 months to do so. About a year after my purchase, ironically, the warranty ran out, and the amp died on me once again a couple days later, luckily, the music shop repaired it for free, and when I got it back, there was a tag, saying it was actually repaired by an authorized Peavey/Mesa/etc technician. I'm not sure if Peavey have fixed any reliability issues at all, but I know that the firmware could use a better look into, for example, I purchased a Sanpera I a couple of months ago, eager to test out the wah, I hook my Sanpera up, and play through a Brit style Marshall amp with a tube screamer for the Vintage Metallica sound, and at my dismay, seconds later activating the wah, the sound cuts off. This only seems to happen when I use the tube screamer though.. So Peavey, please bloody update your firmware.

I bought my Peavey Vypyr on the 18th of April, 2009, the reason I remember is because it was my girlfriends 1 month anniversary :haha:, it was most likely built in 2009, it is a solid state modeling amp. I find this amp very versatile, but I need to try some name-brand pickups in it, as I yet have. This amp has every amplifier on the clean and dirty channel. Also has a 3.5mm headphone jack (i.e. you can use your iPod headphones), has a plethora of effects, and also has a power attenuator. I wish Peavey offered the Sanpera I mail in rebate thing in Australia.. Or I wished this amp came with a footswitch! Before I forget, this amp also includes a USB recording output, and a MIDI port (may work with some other MIDI controllers?).

Khaos5191
    Flame me all you want, but if you know how to use this amp you can get some awesome tones out of it. All you tube elitists don't like that amps like these can get similar if not the same sounds nowadays, so you spread malicious hate about them. Grow up.
    mydian
    I think this amp sounds worse than my spider.. and that isn't saying much. Overpriced practice amp is all this is.
    Good_Lord
    How can you say that the speaker sucks yet still give it a perfect 10?
    few peoples will openly negatively rate something they paid 300$ , especially considering this amp is made for beginners ...
    Shred-Hed
    The fart noise you speak of is really bad in my Peavey Bravo tube combo, I think it's just a quirk of some amps.