Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

I am running my Ibanez S670 straight into this baby. Sometimes I run a compressor in the middle for bedroom practice. This amp's major flaw #2 is that even though it is a 75 watt amp, the 1 setting (goes up to 13) is probably already hitting 15 watts. When I turned it up to about 6, everything in the room started to shake. Plus, a little popping noise came from the speaker so I took that as a warning and turned it back down. I can get a good clean sound by changing the amp setting to the clean "twn" setting. However, that is the only amp setting that can supply a rich, full clean sound. This brings me to flaw #3. Everything else is either high-gain bullcrap or fuzzed out distortion. I give this a 6 because it has few good sounds, but when you find those few, they really sound beautiful.

This is an okay amp for my style I guess. Running a compressor through is probably a good idea. I much prefer my Vox AD15VT with a Boss ME-70 multi effects processor. But I guess somebody out there loves this amp to death. If it were to be stolen I would be extremely mad since this is the best christmas present my dad has bought for me. But I have been thinking about buying a stack. I probably wouldn't replace this. Most of my comments were negative but this IS a good amp altogether. Maybe not the best starter for a beginner guitarist. But I have been playing for 3 years and bought this on impulse. I'll give it an 8. Just because I hate having this amp, but I love hating this amp. It'll give me the best of song ideas when just playing through it randomly so I intend on keeping it.

I have not gigged with it considering I don't have a band to gig with. But it seems to be made very strongly and very stable. I can sit on it and it won't break (considering I'm a little overweight) so that's a bit of a good thing. Nothing has blown out or broken yet so I'll give this a 10.

The Peavey Vypyr 75 is a very unique modeling amp. Having the control of a stompbox, effect, and an amp at the same time is definitely a plus for me. There is also a feature that allows you to choose the clean or distorted setting of the amp you are modeling. There is also a power sponge knob next to the master volume which can give you extra bite and crunch to your tone at bedroom levels. This is a very good IDEA for an amp, but it lacks some character. There are 3 major flaws to it which will be mentioned later. I play mostly shred metal and early rock n' roll, so this amp had to be versatile. It was when I tried it at GC but they must've put a new speaker in it because this speaker is really...dull. This is flaw #1. It gives off no presence of tone, even if you get slight distortion the tone is held behind a mass of ugly sound. There are a few settings that can give a good even blend of tone and distortion but those are one in a million. Most of the factory presets face the aforementioned problem but a select few have an angelic tone. I give this an 8 because it has good features but the amp itself probably needs a new speaker and some upgraded presets.