Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

Price paid: C$ 350

Purchased from: Walter's Music

I am mostly using a 1981 Washburn A20-V, and they sound great together. I play music like Led Zeppelin, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Megadeth, Anthrax, Mastodon, Rush, Iron Maiden, etc. And I get get a great tone for all those bands. There is never and extra noise unless your on a very high distortion setting, like the 6505 with overdrive or when I'm using my Washburn with the coils split, but that is normal. The distortion can be very heavy if you want it to be, there is the option of having it already on an overdrive setting and then adding another distortion with the stompbox feature of the amp.

The Vypyr matches many styles of music. I wish I had bought the Sanpera foot-switch when I got the amp, because I heard it is a great addition, and I still have yet to get it. I wish I knew how to use all of the features of the amp earlier, because I was missing out on a lot and I didn't even know it. It is were stolen I would probably buy a Vypyr 120w head, because the tube versions of the Vypyr sound much nicer, even though the 75w sounds great.

I have heard a couple things about this amp not being reliable but I have never had any problems with mine, except when we had a power surge and I had to get it repaired, but I had a warranty so it was okay. I trust this amp enough to gig without a back-up, but I don't have another amp anyways.

This is amp is awesome. I get any tone out of it that I desire, it is very.. Very versatile. I have tried the 120w Tube Version and it sounds significantly better, but the 75w is still awesome. It has twelve different amp models each with a clean and overdrive setting. It also has lots of effects. There is a 3.5mm headphone jack which is handy because I don't have the 1/4" jack headphones, I don't really use the headphone jack though. There is a preset bank that can hold twelve presets but with the Sanpera pedals you can get up to 400 presets. I usually play it just at home in my basement and its awesome for than but I have played it in a band setting and it is plenty loud. I don't think I have ever turned it up past 7 and it goes to 13.

MaggaraMarine
    Khaos5191 wrote: Flame me all you want, but if you know how to use this amp you can get some awesome tones out of it. All you tube elitists don't like that amps like these can get similar if not the same sounds nowadays, so you spread malicious hate about them. Grow up.
    Well, I'm not a "tube elitist" but I think more simple is better. If you have two channels, volume and gain control and 3 band eq it's all you need. I bet that nobody's going to use more than four amp models of this amp. It just doesn't make sense to use that many sounds because with only two channels (clean and OD) you can do pretty much. And if you want effects buy some stompboxes. Because I don't need more than two effects: delay and chorus (reverb is almost always built in). Ease of use is a great thing because with this kind of amps that have 24 different sounds you have to tweak your settings to find the favorite sound. If you like tweaking and finding new sounds then it's your type of amp but not mine. Keep it simple!!