Vypyr 75 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr 75

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Used)

I use a B.C. Rich Mockingbird masterpiece with stock humbuckers. It suits my style well considering I play most everything. If I had EMGs it would get the crunch a lot better. It's only noisy at high volumes when you leave the strings open. Besides that, not much. The numerous cleans are very good and clear, with their own distinct character depending on the amp model you use. The variety on this thing never ends with the stomp boxes and effects. The distortion gets pretty brutal on the left side of the amp knob (6505, Rectifier, Krankenstein, and Deizel) but I think EMGs or a boost pedal would push it even farther.

My overall impression is that it is a good amp with great tone for being solid state. The options and tones are endless for this. If it were lost or stolen I would probably save up and get the tube 60 watt instead. But that's preference. I love the options. Hate the weight and speaker.

I have hauled this up and down stairs and it's a pain at it's weight. It goes to and from practice a few times a month and the to ex has ripped once and I got it used. It's never broken down but the fuse it soldered to the circuit board. Stupid decision on Peavey's part. I have taken it apart multiple time to inspect and nothings never wrong. Hoping to put a Celestion GT 75 in it soon.

This is a 2010 model purchased in February 2012, used in brand new condition. This amp is extremely versatile. Although it does not get the Pat Martino smoothness it gets close. It is definitely a rock/metal amp. It doesn't have the true 6505 crunch (I have played the 6505 stack multiple times) but once again, it's pretty darn close. It's has numerous channels. 2 for each of the 12 amps. You can save specific amps and pedals settings using the memory bank. I wish the speaker was a better quality considering the mustang has celestials. I use this amp at my bands practice and in my room. It shakes the walls if pushed past 5. The power sponge acts as an attenuator but you can't tell unless using it a high volumes. It's solid state with Peavey's 32 bit analog processor.