Vypyr Tube 60 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr Tube 60

I will preface this by saying that I own a popular high-wattage all-valve amplifier head and 4x12 cabinet. I have been searching for an amp that I could use to practice in a small apartment late at night, but with the tricky stipulation that I still wanted true tube tone. Some folks on the internet will claim that a practice/headphone/bedroom amp needn't sound good. Personally, tone is one of the primary reasons I practice my guitar. I'm not trying to become a tinny technical wizard a-la Dragonforce. To me, the SOUND of the guitar is paramount to the proficiency of finger technique. That being said, this amp is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The preamp and power tubes absolutely affect the tone, and it sounds marvelous. Mind you, I wouldn't replace my primary tube amplifier with the Peavey Vypyr 60, but as a practice amp to be played at low volume, it is a dream come true. The array of digital effects and other features were of less interest to me, and although they are definitely fun to play around with, they aren't a proper substitute for high quality effects. All in all, IF you are looking for an auxiliary amp with tube tone, this is the amp for you. If you're interested in finding a primary amplifier for performance, stop looking at cheap modeling amps.

Again, this is exactly what I was looking for. If you're a serious tube-only guitar player, but you're looking for something decent for low volume/nighttime jamming, I definitely recommend trying this amp.

I have no reason to have an opinion about the durability, since mine is still working flawlessly. However, I would never depend upon anything with cheap plastic fangs to perform onstage. I wouldn't say that this is designed for touring abuse, or even small-town gigging. I wouldn't be surprised if it just shorted out in my bedroom. I recommend buying it from a dealer who offers a supplementary warrantee, like Guitar Center.

A list of features can be found on any number of websites that are offering this amplifier for sale. For the purposes of this review, the features that attracted me toward purchasing it are: the presence of actual power tubes, a headphone jack, and its overal potential for use as a practice amp.

Nick184
    .... You bought a 60 watt valve amp for 'night time jamming'? Ok...
    Baroque_and_Rol
    I wouldn't bag on the reliability or give it a 5 if you haven't actually had any problems with it.