Vypyr Tube 60 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr Tube 60

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Plugging a Michael Kelly Patriot Custom into the Vypyr, it is a great versatile guitar and this amp compliments it beautifully. I was EXTREMELY surprised at the quality of the sounds on this thing. I went round trying plenty of amps at Gear4Music, actually looking away from modellers and at all tube amps. I played through a Blackstar HT- 40, Fender Blues Jnr, various tube Laneys and the Line 6 Spider Valve. Let me just say it blew all of those away. They all sounded nice (bar the Spider Valve, which just paled in comparison) at their specifc tones, but this amp rivalled them all in every department. At first I thought the tubes in this may of been a gimmick, but the power tubes really get driven to get that warm tone, the regular vypyrs don't compete, especially in the blues/ crunch tones. All the effects sound from ok to excellent, so was very impressed! Particularly at the quality of the choruses, flanger, delay, reverb, and the Tubescreamer stompbox modeller. And my god, this amp can get teh br00tz so be warned!

I couldn't ask for anything more from this amp. IMO it is the most versatile amp on the market, and the tones are phenomenal. I would buy this again in a heartbeat, the Spider Valve just doesn't compare, and this sounds as good if not better than any tube amp I've heard in the 200 - 500 range. My favourite feature has to be the mp3 input, nice to play a tube amp whilst also jamming to your favourite songs. If you are considering this amp get it! You won't regret it.

Seems fairly well constructed, cannot comment on the quality just yet but don't see any problems in the near future. The knobs on the front seem fairly strong and sturdy, it has a tough exterior and is very, very heavy so I'm sure it could withstand a knock or two!

This amp has a bucket load of features, it has 24 amp models, 11 rack effects, 11 seperate stompboxes and the ability to have 5 effects at once. It also has an aux input for plugging in an mp3 player, a headphone socket, usb out and a tuner! I play a wide variety of different music, from bluesy cleans, through crunch, hard rock, grunge and some metal (metallica, maiden, anthrax) This amp has amp models to suit all of these tones. I'm using the amp for practice, and for jamming with friends, but would have no hesitation gigging this, it is plenty plenty loud at 60 watts tube!

Salamandyk
    I want a peavey vypyr but cant decide which one. Would the 60-watt tube be better and just as loud as the 100 watt solid state? or at least good for gigs?
    dtmaiden
    The first guy is either a beginner or can't eq for shit. The vypyr is better than blackstar? Two words: bull, shit.
    robbo546hall
    The 60 watter is miles better than the 100. The 100 has two speakers, but the 60 watter is as loud, if not louder, and sounds considerably better. The tubes make a real difference, and the tube vypyrs also come with better stock speakers.
    mydian
    Unicronus
    Nick184 wrote: .... You bought a 60 watt valve amp for 'night time jamming'? Ok...
    lol
    JonGuitar90
    mydian wrote: Lousiest sounding tube amp I've tested so far in my quest to purchase my 1st one. Was at GC maybe I didn't turn it up loud enough? I play Death and some Thrash metal and couldn't get the tone I want at all.
    Put the tube screamer on, it'll sound much better.
    Duker63
    If your Buying this for the added "Features" of USB and the Patch Librarian Software Look someplace else. They dont work at all And if you want to update it you cannot do it from the USB you have to buy a special usb/midi cable thats gonna cost you upwards of 50 bucks Reliability? 50/50