Vypyr Tube 60 review by Peavey

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 7
  • Features: 9
  • Reviewer's score: 8.5 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.2 (44 votes)
Peavey: Vypyr Tube 60
1

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Thomann

Sound — 9
This is where things start to get really fun! This amp have a great range of sounds, some are incredible while some are a bit mediocre, I use an Esp Ltd EC-1000 with Seymor Duncan JB/59 humbucker pickups and I play everything from aerosmith to black label society with it and it delivers pretty nicely. It is pretty quiet, at bedroom volumes its dead quiet while it does tend to get a small noise when you crank it up. The distortion gets as brutal as I want it to be, the 6505 model on the red channel with the built in tubescreamer gives a decent nu metal sound and if you want, you can also get a really sweet clean (not a Fender clean but still pretty good).

Overall Impression — 9
I am pretty happy with this amp, it does what I want it to do and it does it well, if it got stolen I would probably try a Blackstar amp instead. I love its wide range of sounds but I don't like the fact that the quality could be a bit better, but if you want a bedroom amp with alot of different sounds you should check this amp out.

Reliability & Durability — 7
This is its weak side, when I got the amp, the front panel which holds the speaker fell right out when I started moving the amp around, turns out the screws that hold the panel in place where to small, so I had to get some bigger ones. Since that I have used it for about a year and it has worked okay, it does tend to freeze sometimes when I start it up though.

Features — 9
This amp have pretty much all features you need, a bunch of different amp models for different styles, some basic effects, and it can save about 15 presets (more if you get the sanpera pedal) and while most effects are pretty good, there are some you will never use, for example the reverse effect, and there is one thing I want to make very clear, its NOT a full tube amp, its a hybrid. Its also 60w and gets pretty loud, you could easily gig with it!

6 comments sorted by best / new / date

    BigHeadClan
    rv_phoenix wrote: dtmaiden is absolutely right. If someone really tries a Blackstar HT/40, a Fender Blues Jr. and then chooses the Vypyr, then he knows abslutely nothing about music. Or has some serious problems at hie ears. First of all, because of the loudspeaker! Peavey combos, regardless they have DSPs or not, are reputed for having the worst speakers in the world. Even its all-tube combos,like the ValveKings, have to have the speaker replaced by Celestions or Eminences in order to use their full capabilities. Second: to use a vypyr for gigging? How many guitar players has anyone seen gigging on a vypyr? Anyone who knows something about amps and gigging knows a Vypyr (the Line6 Spider Valve as well) cannot be gigged because of the low quality of its signal path, if used through a cabinet, or of its speaker, if used as such. Third: there is the reliabilty issue. DSPs, despite being utterly useless for seriously playing the guitar, are reputed for collapsing much faster than any other component in the amp. Comments above show there are other former users of a vypyr who had reliabilty issues with the amp. An overall 9 for this toy? Then how much should we rate a real amp, like a HiWatt Custom Combo or a Carl Marin???
    DSP's - Not a clue what it means Well in any case I agree with you about your BlackStar/Fender comment, however I'm curious if what you say about the loudspeaker is true I would be very much interested if changing out the speaker would make it sound much better. But currently I have no problems pulling out the Tones I want, but do you really think any one would play live with a $400-600 amp outside of a very small venue? Personally I can't believe your com planing about a 9 overall when the ratings come from Cost and performance, right now your just judging it by performance and are totally ignoring the fact that it's an amp directed towards Band practices and tiny venues. And in those 2 sections it shines, could it be better, Yes. But for cost I doubt you will find an amp that performs as well as this in those 2 areas.
    thegreasefire
    Duker63 wrote: If your Buying this for the added "Features" of USB and the Patch Librarian Software Look someplace else. They dont work at all And if you want to update it you cannot do it from the USB you have to buy a special usb/midi cable thats gonna cost you upwards of 50 bucks Reliability? 50/50
    What? It worked fine for me!
    oggen_swe
    dtmaiden wrote: The first guy is either a beginner or can't eq for shit. The vypyr is better than blackstar? Two words: bull, shit.
    Where did i say that?
    rv_phoenix wrote: dtmaiden is absolutely right. If someone really tries a Blackstar HT/40, a Fender Blues Jr. and then chooses the Vypyr, then he knows abslutely nothing about music. Or has some serious problems at hie ears. First of all, because of the loudspeaker! Peavey combos, regardless they have DSPs or not, are reputed for having the worst speakers in the world. Even its all-tube combos,like the ValveKings, have to have the speaker replaced by Celestions or Eminences in order to use their full capabilities. Second: to use a vypyr for gigging? How many guitar players has anyone seen gigging on a vypyr? Anyone who knows something about amps and gigging knows a Vypyr (the Line6 Spider Valve as well) cannot be gigged because of the low quality of its signal path, if used through a cabinet, or of its speaker, if used as such. Third: there is the reliabilty issue. DSPs, despite being utterly useless for seriously playing the guitar, are reputed for collapsing much faster than any other component in the amp. Comments above show there are other former users of a vypyr who had reliabilty issues with the amp. An overall 9 for this toy? Then how much should we rate a real amp, like a HiWatt Custom Combo or a Carl Marin???
    Ok, first of all, the reason i bought this amp is because i needed a versatile amp that gives me alot of different sounds, and i dont wanna buy amps i dont have the opportunity to try out which gets really hard when you live in a place where there is no music shop for miles. However i have a couple of friends who own Vypyrs so i could try their amps, and i really like the sounds that i get from this amp so i bought one. About the speakers, yes the speakers in the Peavey combos does tend to suck a bit, but this one doesnt! the custom-voiced speaker in this amp works great! And yes you could gig with it, of course you should never take this amp to larger venues but it could easily do smaller stuff. this amp is rated just like Bigheadclan says, by value and performance, and this amp is far from a toy, some people just have a hard time realising that the old days where you had to pay thousands of dollars for a decent sound are long gone.
    rockerwannabe
    I bought this amp a year ago and returned it and opted for an Egnater tube instead. I couldn't dial in the same tone twice on the Vyper - so many settings! And the lights were childish, IMHO. Granted, I am an 80's throw back so give me a clean tube amp and my old geezer foot pedals and I can get the exact tone I want EVERY TIME.
    rv_phoenix
    dtmaiden wrote: The first guy is either a beginner or can't eq for shit. The vypyr is better than blackstar? Two words: bull, shit.
    rv_phoenix
    dtmaiden is absolutely right. If someone really tries a Blackstar HT/40, a Fender Blues Jr. and then chooses the Vypyr, then he knows abslutely nothing about music. Or has some serious problems at hie ears. First of all, because of the loudspeaker! Peavey combos, regardless they have DSPs or not, are reputed for having the worst speakers in the world. Even its all-tube combos,like the ValveKings, have to have the speaker replaced by Celestions or Eminences in order to use their full capabilities. Second: to use a vypyr for gigging? How many guitar players has anyone seen gigging on a vypyr? Anyone who knows something about amps and gigging knows a Vypyr (the Line6 Spider Valve as well) cannot be gigged because of the low quality of its signal path, if used through a cabinet, or of its speaker, if used as such. Third: there is the reliabilty issue. DSPs, despite being utterly useless for seriously playing the guitar, are reputed for collapsing much faster than any other component in the amp. Comments above show there are other former users of a vypyr who had reliabilty issues with the amp. An overall 9 for this toy? Then how much should we rate a real amp, like a HiWatt Custom Combo or a Carl Marin???