Vypyr Tube 60 review by Peavey

Peavey: Vypyr Tube 60

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: Music Center Canada

My main guitar is a Shecter's Blood-Moon with Dimarizos D-Sonic and PAF 36 Ann and my current chain sport's a Boss NS-O2 supressor and a OverDrive-3. I play a very broad spectrum of music but I mainly focus on old school metal Hard Rock (Maiden, Santana, Slash, Ozzy), the beauty of this amp is in it's flexibility I can easily get tones ranging from the above mentioned all the way to Opeth, Dream Theater, RHCP you name it. The cleans are very impressive but they lack that certain quality that you get from a real Fender or Marshall, in regards to cleans I would give this a (7). Don't let this amp fool you though its distortion more than make up for and short comings the clean channel had, and is the main reason I purchased this amp. It can cover practically any metal tone you can think of from the brutal lows to screaming highs. I do suggest that anyone who is looking into buying this amp to strongly consider getting a noise suppressor in their chain if they consider playing their heavier styles of metal it can get very noisy when the gain is cranked. I give the distortion tones a 9 but the need for a suppressor forces me to give it a (8) overall.

As a person who dabbles in a bit of everything this Amp more than matches me, I occasionally look at other amps to buy but every time I end up coming back to my tube 60 for it's great tone and amazing versatility. I was a bit intimidated by the sheer volume of effects and tones you can get out of this amp and it does take some time to learn I encourage anyone who is trying one out to really sit down and explore it's options you wont be disappointed!

I am currently not playing any gig's however in the 1 1/2 years I've owned the amp there have been nearly 0 problems all of which have been minor issues with simple fixes, one was a blow fuse (my fault for not having a surge protector). The other issue other was a dead tube, the amp was likely sitting in the store for a year before I came along and probably not treated very well so this is a mute point for me. This amp does occasionally lock up It took a good year for me to experience my first one, this however is very easily avoided by not constantly swapping through the pre-sets. Peavey really went over the top with this amp, from good quality tubes to a solid stock speaker that is voiced around the Vyper Tube 60's versatility.

I have been using this amp for around a year and a bit and now and I have finally gotten around to give my to cents on the amp, it has a plethora of effects that allow for endless hours of tweaking and customizing my did not come with a Sanpera II. As a hybrid tube amp at 60 watts its more then capable of jams and small shows, the effects of the amp are hit and miss but I have been more then satisfied with the Amp modelling and the majority of the Stomp-boxes.

shannon4austin
    A bunch of insecure pedal users afraid of change and tech advances in music that forces advances in music
    Duker63
    This amp is a pile of crap second only to the shitty customer service at Peavey HEY PEAVEY IT'S BEEN A YEAR WHERE THE HELL IS MY SOFTWARE YOU OWE ME?