Price paid: $ 150
Purchased from: Music store
Features — 10
Peavey designed and engineered in the U.S.A. - mfg in China in 2013 and currently comes with a 5 year warranty. For the beginner or intermediate guitarist who wants a versatile amp to do just about anything - for the money you can't wrong investing in a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1 Variable Instrument Performance amplifier. It is the world's first amplifier that contains 6 bass guitar amp models, 6 acoustic guitar amp models and 36 electric guitar amplifier models that covers the full spectrum of music possible with these presets in addition to the presets you can create. This single amplifier can provide amplification for electric, acoustic and bass guitar, thereby eliminating the need for separate amplifiers for those instruments. Not only does the Vypyr morph from a bass amp, to an acoustic amp, to an electric amp; the Vypyr VIP 1's realistic instrument simulations allow users to manipulate the sound of their electric guitar to mimic an acoustic guitar or bass guitar.
Peavey's use of a combination of 32-bit, floating-point SHARC processor and patented TransTube analog circuitry has created the best sounding modeling amplifiers available today. Now guitarists have access to over "50 amp, instrument and stompbox model effects that cost a fortune if purchased separately. All of this, out of a traditional practice size amplifier is pretty amazing. While the Vypyr VIP 1 is packed with an array of features, Peavey's WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface enables users to easily view all of the parameters with LED lights at each control knob, at a glance, without the need to scroll through menus or to plug into a computer or external device.
Vypyr's USB bi-directional data and audio port provides an easy way for users to connect to a computer and record, access the Vypyr Edit software and store presets, get lessons, and practice to backing tracks. With Peavey's PowerSponge variable power, guitar players can adjust the power output to suit any playing situation and use presets to play any type of music. This amp is very responsive and will enhance the playing capabilities of anyone aspiring to be a better guitarist.
Sound — 8
- DVD with detailed owner's manual, ReValver HPse in 32 bit or 64 bit versions for saving presets and Reaper home recording software in 32 bit or 64 bit versions for recording on your computer (standard USB cable not provided with amp).
- 20 watts RMS of power that is loud and responsive with a single guitar input jack.
- Acoustically ported semi-closed back of amp resonates sound well with normal playing range 1 – 2 on volume knob, but capable of HIGH volume output at 13.
- On the front of amp is a bi-directional USB port for downloading firmware updates and to connect to a computer to use Vypyr Edit graphic User Interface, an Auxiliary input for MP3, drum machine or CD player, and a Studio grade headphone/record out jack (when headphones are used the amp speaker is muted and master volume controls the sound level in the headphones). An 8 pin MIDI port on back of amp is for the Sanpera I or II footswitch.
- Push button selectable Instrument Type for Electric 1, Electric 2, Acoustic and Bass that represent 4 banks with 4 presets each for a total of 16 presets.
- Acoustic guitar simulation and 6 acoustic amp models.
- Bass guitar simulation and 6 bass amp models (Low pre-gain settings for acoustic and bass amp models, requires the master volume to be set higher, remember to turn it down to 1 before switching back to electric guitar instrument type).
- Push/turn control knobs for Inst/Stomp, Amplifiers, Pre-Gain, Low, Mid, High and Post Gain. Push buttons for Looper, Tap Tempo and Edit Mode for changing the five amp control knob functions to P1, P2, delay feedback, delay level and reverb level.
- 22 amp accessible stompbox effects, which include: TSC, Comp, Slap, Wah, Phaser, Flanger, Synth, Slice, Env Filter, Pitch shifter, Chorus, Octaver, Rotary, MOG, Tremolo, Reverse, Uvb, Ring Mod, Vibrato and Boost. Simply dial an effect by hand using the inst/stomp knob on the amp or use a Sanpera I or II foot switch (sold separately) and play up to 4 effects simultaneously.
- 36 onboard electric guitar amp models that are selected by pushing the amplifier encoder knob which gives you a Red, Green or Yellow LED indication for the amp models in Butcher, Classic, XXX, 6534, 6505, Budda, Twin, British, Trace Acoustic, Peavey Acoustic, Trace Bass and Peavey Bass. The amp allows you to accurately cover clear, country, classic, blues, rock, British and metal tones exceptionally well. To change the channel model you simply turn the amplifier encoder knob.
- Built in enhanced chromatic tuner on the amplifier encoder knob is activated by push and hold knob for tuning, then LED indicators show low, sharp or in tune next to the corresponding F, G, A, B, C, D, E, indications across from the amp model tabs.
- On-board looper – REQUIRES a Sanpera I or II foot switch (SOLD SEPARATELY) the looper allows you to record 30 plus seconds of anything, switch your tone preset and play over your recorded track. An awesome feature for those who want to record their own music by laying down a bass track and change to a lead track played over it.
- WYSIWYG - LED indicators are found at all control buttons and amp control knobs making it easy to verify your desired settings or presets.
Reliability & Durability — 8
The Vypyr VIP 1 is an ideal beginner's or intermediate guitar players amplifier that has great amp models, sound, effects and at home recording capabilities. It is well built and seems durable. It retails for about $130.00 and requires a Sanpera I or II foot switch to use the looper and toe tap through effects. All said the Vypyr VIP 1 with a Sanpera I foot switch would cost you about $260.00; the amount you'll end up spending buying used amps or cheap amps that don't last and/or multiple guitar effects pedals that costs $100+ per device.
The Sanpera II footswitch retails for about $200.00 and is designed for the VIP 1 or more ideally for the Vypyr VIP 2 (40 watts RMS) and Vypyr VIP 3 (100 watts RMS) models which are greatly enhanced amps compared to the VIP 1.
Overall Impression — 10
Be sure to read the owner's manual and take the time to learn all the amp's capabilities by going through the amplifier presets and effects. This amp is loud, and you'll find 1 or 2 on the master volume is adequate for practicing unless you want the volume to display your ability to do, pick slides, hammer-ons, tapping and screaming solos like Eddy Van Halen choose amp model 6505. This amp can replicate great sounds of the '70s, '80s, '90s and today. A best buy for a practice amp or garage band. I've been a guitarist for 35 years and found this amp plays all forms of music very well, from blues to country, rock to metal using my strat. I really like the effects that replicate classic rock. Before purchasing it I researched all comparable models from other manufacturers and this has the most features for a 20 watt practice amp (period). The effects are great like using Wah on Hendrix's riffs or distortion on metal power chords. If you like to play all types of music - this is the amp to get. My only wish is that the Sanpera I foot switch came with the amp.
If it were lost or stolen I'd get a Vypyr VIP 2 with a Sanpera II foot switch because it has even more features. When I registered the amp on line I received a 5 year warranty instead of the 2 year warranty previous models had.