Windsor Head review by Peavey

Peavey: Windsor Head

Purchased from: CA House Music- Wva.

My main guitar is a chambered body Agile Les Paul copy (AD 2900, which is now out of stock/production). This amp covers all the sounds I need. My band's orginals are a Hard Southern Rock and our covers range from the '70s, '80s and up. This amp suits my music style very well. Because I use a high gain setup, I always use a Noise Gate to prevent any unwanted noise, but with any high gain setup a noise gate of some sort if needed. The amp has a good deal of gain by itself, but I front end it with a DigiTech Bad Monkey Overdrive to tighten up the sound and add a little more grit. The clean channel isn't bright and shimmery, rather more bluesy. This amp is a straight forward rock machine. Whether you want 70's sounds, or more modern sounds (with the exception of extreme high gain) this amp can do it all. It you want and amp with chunk and "balls", this is definately one to look into.

This amp is a great match for me. It was also a bargain deal. Peavey could easily charge more for this. If it were stolen or lost, I would of course be dissapointed, but probably have another one in a few days. I suggest this amp to anyone looking to rock out, but doesn't have a huge amount of money to spend.

I've never had any problems with this amp. It's built like a tank, and never has given me any performance problems. Tubes in the amp are good, no problems with those (EL34 and 12AX7). The tolex will get a few scratches from time to time, but so will any other amp. Knobs are sturdy and easily movable. This amp is built to last.

The Peavey Windsor Head is a straight up rock machine. It is a single channel, all tube amplifier that sounds like a "Hot Rodded" Marshall JCM 800. It has a gain boost (which is more of a solo boost as it increases mids greatly) and an effects loop that can be switched on and off. Both of these features are controlled by a 2 button footswitch. With 120 Watts of pure tube power, it's enough to shake any large venue, but still sounds when used for a smalled venue. I wouldn't suggest this amp for bedroom practice, as it's loud amplifier. It has all of your basic EQ contols plus controls for Presence and Resonance. Also, one geat feature of this amp is that you can go from class A/B power to class A and anywhere in between via the attenuation knob on the front. It's appearance is also very classy, and downright sexy.

sjones
    Yes, as long as you don't need a clean sound. It's a single channel amp. For heavier stuff, I suggest getting an overdrive pedal to boost the amp.
    zparticus
    Or get FJA mods to modify a clean channel in it!... FJA is local to where i live, that guy is a modding god!
    fleh
    thinkin of buyin this amp n wondrin if playing thru an acoustic sim pedal would give a decent clean tone
    qotsa1998
    ^It would, but the amp would distort it probably. You could always buy an OD pedal and boost the amp to get the OD i think. If u want a clean tone, i think you could buy another, maybe smaller amp and use a 3-way switch pedal and run em thru the same cabinet.
    *Vintage*
    I'm thinking of getting this amp, I play a Hamer Calq with a Dimbucker pickup and a mxr Dime distiortion, is it wise to buy it with these or would i just get a load of noise back with no audiable notes?
    Korzack
    I managed to find this & the 4x12 cab that goes with on sound control for 370 for the pair set. Worth a shot? Worth bearing in mind I am a student, so I'll be leaving it until my 2nd year when I'm into a proper house before buying this behemoth.