Windsor Head review by Peavey

Peavey: Windsor Head

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I'm playing it with humbucker-equipped Gibson-style guitars (Les Paul and an SG) and it delivers the warm, creamy tones very well. Since the Windsor is a Marshall clone (both visually and soundwise), it fits classic rock very well. Metalplayers should use pedals to reach those sick amounts of distortion, though i suspect this amp to get muddy when pushed to far. The amp is very bassy in my opinion. Since its a one channel amp it begins to distort very early, so you will not get the cleans very loud. Thats one of the amps limitations.

The Windsor fits my blues/rock style very well. I have been playing guitar for four years now and two of them in a band. I often use it with my Vintage PG Les Paul through a Morley Wah and a Boss overdrive, and I like the way it sounds. As I wrote earlier, I wish it had reverb, but the EQ opportunities (5 "EQ" knobs) are very useful. Peavey claims that it is a "budget 100W tube head" and I agree. But for these amounts of money, its surprisingly good-sounding. The most special thing about the amp is the Texture knob. Very few amps have a feature like this.

Its very heavy and sturdy. I gig without backup all the time, since the tubes are so new. I thrust it. It has not worn yet, which is kind surprising (we are not too kind to our equipment while on the road).

This amp was made 2008. Its a single channel tube amp, and switching between clean and overdriven sounds takes a little tweaking, but if you use effects and the guitars tone controls youll get along pretty well. I play mostly garage and classic blues/rock in my band, so pretty much stay with a crunchy tone all the time. It also features an effect loop and a boost Switch, which provides some extra push. (The boost can be footswitched). There are two inputs, High Gain & Low Gain (the low gain input is 10db quieter). There are master and prevolume (gain) knobs, treble/middle/bass knobs and two additional EQ knobs: Resonance and Presence, which lets you control the high and low frequencies of the speakers, which is very useful if you are a tonefreak. The best feature is the patented Texture knob, allowing the player to blend Class A and Class A/B tubepower as much as they like. I kind of miss a reverb option, but you can buy a pedal for that. I play in a gigging Rock/Blues band, and half a year ago I fulfilled my dreams of owning a halfstack 100w amp when I bought the Windsor. Its very useful in loud conditions, because it actually got more power than anyone could ask for at the venues I play (300 persons at most). Im satisfied with it.