Windsor Head review by Peavey

Peavey: Windsor Head

For what it lacks in features it makes up for in sound. When I was looking for a new head (old ss head fried) I jammed through tons of different heads and didn't find one I really liked. Money really wasn't a concern, but I needed a head to Jam the upcoming weekend. When I jammed this head through a cheap cab at GC I could kind of hear the potential. For the money I bought it basically as a stopgap until I find a good one. This head powers a full stack.The bottom cab has the eminence monster metal kit, the top cab has Celestions in it. The only pedals I use are a noise gate and wah. I play either a Gibson SG or Les Paul. I plug into the high gain jack, preamp=max, bass=max, mids=least, treble=5, boost=off, master volume=max, resonance=max, presence=max, texture=max. If you have comparable cabs I suggest you try these settings. The sound is so brutal and heavy and loud I feel like I almost stole this head. I am not sure if the previous owner modded this head but it is like a six foot tall monster growling at you as loud as he can. This amp isn't just loud, it is feel it in the pit of your stomach LOUD and HEAVY.

Needless to say I have stopped looking for a new head. What I thought was a stopgap has become an unreal stroke of luck. I have been playing guitar for 12 years and my band jams out heavy bluesy stoner rock. Think Sabbath meets Clutch meets Kyuss meets Goatsnake. These "modern metal bands", lol, don't know what heavy is. The best is after our set the guitarists from other bands ask me what distortion pedal I use and I say I don't use one. The most common reaction is "daaammmmnnnn!". Peavey, job well done.

I have had this head for about a year now with no problems. It has been a tank so far taking the dings and occasional drops of a gigging band. I am confident enough in this head that I don't take a spare head when we play out, just extra tubes and fuses. The head weighs probably 50 or 60 pounds but I don't mind lugging equipment that treats me right.

This is your basic one channel all tube head. The only way to get a clean sound out of it is to turn the preamp and your guitar's volume down. Even then it isn't totally clean. The eq knobs are kind of all or nothing. You have to turn them a good distance to notice a change in tone. The resonance and presence knobs don't really do much in my opinion. And at least to my ears there isn't a whole lot of difference between the high and low gain inputs either. The texture knob does work and is a cool feature. 100 watts, all tube, cheap, and FREAKING LOUD AS HELL, works for me.

6stringd
    This Amp Rocks. I would do the Pepsi challenge against pretty much any head on the market with this beast. I upgraded the cab with Green Backs and wow. If your looking for British Crunch this amp is there. The price is unbelievable for what you get (a pure Rock Machine). One day I am gonna buy a JCM 800 just to do the Pepsi Challenge and see how it compares. My bet is it is pretty dang close. So, if your not a gear snob and dont mind owning a Peavey, I do not think you could get anything better for less than 1600 New.
    GodxEatxGod
    Anybody who knows tone and quality knows that tubes are the way to get it, not solid state.
    aging_metal_god
    Just got myself a Windsor head and a late 80s/early 90s Marshall 1922 2x12 cabinet sporting Celestion G12T-75s, all in a trade for a late 60s Guild Thunderstar 1x12 that didn't suit my style at all...holy sh*t, what a killer combo! This thing is a complete fire breathing furious killer of an amp that produces mad, brutal rock and roll mojo for DAYS! Oh, and to the guy who thinks you can get better "tones" out of a Line6 Spider...dude, what ever works for you, it's your ears...but it's quite apparent that you either don't play very loud (the Windsor is at its finest when cranked *waaaay* past the levels that your Mom would let you play in your bedroom), or you actually like that hollow, over processed digital reproduction of "actual" tone because its the only thing you've ever really experienced! There is nothing in the world (solid state, that is) that even compares to the sound you get from a selection of searing hot glass bottles cranked to the point of potential self destruction...I've tried it all, and (paraphrasing Skwissgard Squiggelf) tubezes is dee only ways to go, unless yous plays a grandpas guitar! *ahem* Back to my point... I feel this killer gem of Peavey engineering is an absolute find, and I couldn't be happier with the grinding crushing killer tone I get from it...now I just need to run it through my '74 Sunn 412 straightface cab piggybacked off the Marshall 212, and see if I can blow out my neighbors's windows from across the street...ooooo yeah lmao!
    wreckset
    I've had mine for a year. No issues. I'm staggered by the quality of tone. I use mine at a top end amp in my bass stack. I use a Hughes and kettner bass amp for the lows and split the signal to my Windsor, which is running with high gain channel flat out and treble and miss flat out. Sublime bass tone .