XXL 212 review by Peavey

Peavey: XXL 212

I use a Jackson DK-2 Dinky with 2 Duncan designed single coils and a Duncan designed humbucker. This amp has a wide range of sounds you can pick from. I play heavy metal and hardcore and this amp works very good with that style. I also play lead guitar so it has a good lead tone if you know what your doing with it. It's a bit noisy on the lead and ultra channel but its easily switched off via footswitch. For rhythm I use the ultra channel and for lead I use the lead channel so I can have a separate channel with a volume boost. The clean channel can get distorted at a high volume if the guitar volume is high, all you have to do is turn it down about half-way and your fine. The distortion is brutal and mind blowing. It has a lot of gain and really good definition of notes. Pinch harmonics just fly out of it. This is probably the best sound on the amp.

This amp is great for metal and hard rock. I've been playing 3 years and have owned 2 other amps, a 15 watt Fender and 30 watt Marshall. One thing I dislike is the weight. My freind has a Line 6 100 watt and it's like 20 pounds heavier, but its worth it. The heaviness shows in the sound.

I would use it without a backup. It's very reliable. Nothing bad has happened to it yet, and nothing should happen, I take good care of it and it should take good care of me.

This amp is the perfect amp for heavy metal and hard rock. I play metal/harcore and it works fine for just that. It has 3 channels, clean, lead and ultra which have independent volumes along with a master volume and reverb. On each channel there are various gain and EQ voicings which make it better to get a sound you want. It's footswitchable and has an effects loop in the back that is also footswitchable. It also has a preamp out and power amp in which I don't use and dont know how to use. You can switch it from 100, 50 or 25 watts of power and switch tight, medium and loose damping. Probably one of the best features on this amp is that it has 2 outputs for speakers, you use one of them with the amp for the 2 speakers. You can buy a separate 2X12 cab that goes with it to go underneath to make a half-stack. This amp has a ton of power (100w) and is fine for me in band practice and on stage.

JaredFace
    For the price you pay for the amp its not bad. But peavey discontinued this product for a reason. I own one and I have had 60watt amps blowing me away. Not very loud. And the amps intergety gives up when you jack up the volume. I play it with a schecter c-1 classic
    akabutterz
    I've had this amp for two years (the half stack) always ran distortion pedals through it. until my boss metal core finally broke. i started using the ultra channel. and i am blown away. it has so much crunch and fullness to it. i use to hate the distortion channels on this amp. but after playing around with it for a bit. i am convinced i will not get rid of this amp. it is by far the best solid state I've used and has that warmth of a tube amp. great amp.