G-40V review by Pignose

Pignose: G-40V

I'm playing this through a Standard Telecaster. I get a great sound for what I play. It does AC/DC, ZZ Top, Cream and other stuff very well. It definitely isn't a high gain amp. You can get about enough gain for classic rock-ish stuff, but not so much in the metal territory. You can get a very loud clean tone with the right amp settings. This is quite an inexpensive amp, and the sound is fantastic for the price. Of course there are better amps, but for the pricerange, this can't be beat. It could do with a tube replacement from the stock ones, and maybe a speaker replacement in the future to get the full potential of the amp, but it's nice the way it is. I give it an eight in sound because it's a very good deal for the price.

I'll state again that I play a lot of blues, blues rock, classic rock, and a tiny bit of modern stuff. I've been playing for about two and a half years, and it's served me well for the year and a half I've had it. If it were lost, I would not buy another one because I would be ready to move on to more expensive gear. The thing I love about it is how it's so inexpensive, but so nice. I was really surprised at this thing. It's fairly small, but when you crank it, people will be amazed at the sounds. They'll be even more amazed when you tell them how much you paid for it. I played it against a lot of the other amps in the price-range. They were solid-state for the most part, and I found that this amp blew them away in terms of just straight-up sound. Of course, if you're looking for nice built-in effects and all that, this is not the amplifier for you, but I like it simple. I give it an eight for overall impression, because there are better amps out there, but the value for the price is a good incentive for purchasing.

The amp is very durable in my experience. I've read some reviews about how it has shoddy workmanship, but I haven't had any problems with it. It's never broken down, and I would definitely gig without a backup amp. It's a tough little amp, and it seems pretty reliable. I give it a nine for reliability.

This is a Pignose G40V all tube 40 watt amplifier. Mine was made in 2006. It is fairly versatile for what I play (Blues, blues rock, a bit of modern stuff). It has one channel. A very bare-bones amplifier. I wish it had built-in reverb, but I can just use a pedal with it. The 40 watts it has is quite adequate. I usually play in my church's band, and it has no problem projecting or cutting through the mix. I give it a seven, since the features are a bit lacking.

Cobalt Blue
    doesn't sound bad for a 40-watt.. if your playing blues anyway... the store I use to work in had a Pignose portable amp. it was pretty kick ass for it's size.