Legendary 7-100 review by Pignose

Pignose: Legendary 7-100

Purchased from: flea market

This amp sounds fantastic. you can use it to get anywhere from light blues overdrive to "Sweet Child O' Mine" intro to classic Brian May tone (not those weird operatic squeals, though), quite an accomplishment without a treble boost. This suits my classic rock/blues/blues rock style perfectly. Why, I can even dip into the old "Crazy Train" tone, if I hit it hard enough. For a one channel, one knob amp, I would definately use it anywhere, even gigging.

I love this bugger to death. I would maybe even run some FX and a PA and rock a stadium with it. This would make me the coolest ever. Imagine, all those roadies unloading the Marshall fullstacks for backline, and I owuld just pick up my little pig and rock. I have been playing about 2 years, but only seriously for about 9 months. If stolen or lost, I would turn manic depressive, lock myself in a closet, and listen to some emo music until it was returned, or go buy a new one. I could never sell it, unless Pignose comes out with one with a headphone output.

I can depend on it 100 percent. If I were in a hair metal band and doing townshend leaps and rolling on the floor like Jimi, I'd put it out of harm's way. The strap buttons are better than those on my guitar. I would practically run a Marathon with it on without a second thought. That being said, I generally need straplocks, as I am paranoid. Guitars have near broken with me, and I wouldn't worry about this breaking on the fall down. It's got metal corners to lessen the impact, and its about 1/4 in plywood cover is very hard. My one gripe, which isn't directly anyone's fault, is that when I played loud, I heard a raggedness that turned out to be the word "Pignose" on the speaker grill vibrating. A dab of plastic cement fixed that in a jiffy, and it sounded great for happily ever after.

Made I would guess in the seventies, because its serial # is in the 28000's. This amp is rather versatile, you can get some good, if not quiet, clean sounds out of it with the volume down on the guitar. With the volume all up on both amp and guitar, you can get some great lead grittyness, and backing off a bit gives you fantastical classic rock tone. Only one knob which, when rotated, turns the amp on, but this is one of the versatile practice amps in the world (see Talos basic for versatile). I use this amp in my bedroom, and for me it has plenty, if not too much power at its tiny three watts. It has a preamp out for driving a 4 x 12 through your favorite head, and a little cabinet inside to store an adapter, a set of picks, and a strap or short cord. For what I payed, I would not sell it for anything less than enough to buy the exact same one again. I think that the one thing that would make it better is a headphone output. I have yet to use it with batteries, as mine came with an adapter. Even with the headphone gripe, it still nets a 10.