Legendary 7-100 review by Pignose

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Pignose: Legendary 7-100

The sound I have to say goes from Muddy to Creamy. The cleans on this are pretty bad. Two much mid and bass and not enough treble. and with an old fashioned LP or just about anything with humbuckers? Don't count on it, this thing will only make it muddier. But grab yourself just about any Fender guitar or something with single coils and this thing will impress. Using even my imitation strat I can effortlessly get a very good creamy overdrive sound perfect for (you guessed it) Cream/Eric Clapton songs and even for some Steve Howish tunes. From warm cleans to overdriven goodness it'll do it.

This is a good blues/classic rock amp. Especially for practice. It'll go just about anywhere and everywhere with you. really great for single coil guitars. not so much for humbuckers. I've been playing for a total of about 3 years (seriously only about the past year or so). I play mainly prog./classic rockish/bluesy stuff but I'm versatile enough to be able to shift genres to accommodate the odd punk drummer or thrash guitarist. If it was lost or stolen I'd most definately buy another one (especially at only 80 bucks it's a steal). I love the creamy/bluesy sound I can coax out of it. I hate how it's impossible for me to get anything else. My favorite feature would have to be how the volume knob emulates tube amp dynamics a bit (volume up until about 12 o'clock then it mainly adds just more gain). I compared this to other battery powered amps and this beats them all. Especially for the price. Who wants to spend more then $80 on a practice amp.

Well I got this about a week ago. Played it about 3/4 hours a day which would average up to about 24 total and this thing has already crapped out on me. I've never dropped it or put it in a bucket of water or have mistreated it in any way yet the distortion has reduced to a very flabby/tinny sound and the volume fades in and out. Oh well, I'll be taking it back to guitar center tomorrow to get a new one. Lucky for me it hasn't been 30 days. So that goes to show you. On foreign made products (excluding Japanese made of course) always buy the extra two year warranty. It they don't offer you any? then don't buy it. or if you really need to have one, buy two.

The amp was made fairly recently by (what I think to be) immigrant workers in Hong Kong. It's a great blues/classic rock which is about all I use it for. It's a single channel SS design with only a volume knob which is used to control both volume and gain. It's powered by either 6 AA batteries or a 9v adaptor atachment. Plus the amp opens up allowing you turn it from a closed back amp to an open back (also handy for adjusting your tone or as use as a crude waah waah). I've even carried sandwiches inside the compartment on the odd day (just in case I ever get hungry) inside a very sealed plastic bag of course. As for features, it'd be really nice if Pignose also sold a version where they added some tone knobs maybe even some tremolo or reverb. With the knobs on the inside to not spoil it's look but fortunately in case you're craving some more customization to your Pignose tone, it features a line out where it can serve as the preamp for an even larger amplifier. Really good for improving the sound on your SS amp. As for where I use this amp? I use it everywhere. In my house, my garage, while on my couch watching TV, at school. It has two buttons for attaching any old guitar strap so I pretty much carry it anywhere and everywhere.