Legendary 7-100 review by Pignose

Pignose: Legendary 7-100

Purchased from: Factory President

This little piggy is what it is, a legendary practice amp. It has the Fender tweed 5F1 sound and sounds very classic with single coils and does well with humbuckers also. It has great sustain, no effect pedals needed. Better than a Champion 600 IMO. I also owned a 64 Tolex 5F1, and this little piggy is able to sound like a 5F1 Champ with the same dynamic tone at a lower volume. With the ability to close the cabinet it can do more tones than any amp of it's size. I love the ability to alter the gain with pick attack, something most solid state and modeling amps lack.

This is one great little amp. Pignose 7-100 has a tweed Champ tone if that's what your into. It's been about 30 years since I played through a Pignose 7-100. My original was stolen, and I have played and owned many practice amps over the decades, and I re-discovered this little piggy about a month ago searching the youtube. IMO this little piggy is better than most practice amps because of the touch dynamics, pick attack, and tweed Champ tone. If I want to sit or stand in one place and be attached to an amp in one location for practice I would use a class A/B tube amp for practice. However, I like the Pignose's compact size, solid build, great tone, and portability. It serves me well when I want to stay cool, move around the house, save some electricity, lay back and just mess around on the guitar during a HOT summer day. It beats turning up a fan to cool down a HOT running 12 or 15 watt tube at home in the summer.

These little piggys are built to last. The construction is the same as I remember it back in the 70s. And the cabinet seems to have a beveled fit that the originals did not have. This seems more sturdy, and makes it a more tight and solid fit. Only maintenance is battery replacement, unless you use the 9V adaptor.

2011 amp new made in Hong Kong purchased from the President of Pignose amps. I got to meet the president of Pignose amps Howard Chatt in Las Vegas. He also filled me in on some of the history of the amp and some new products that are currently in production. These Pignose amps are one of the greatest compact "green" practice amps on the planet. It is the closest thing to a tweed Champ that you can get and then some. All the appointments and features have been established over the years. I also owned an orginal California made Pignose 7-100 back in the late 70s. Nothing has changed in over 35+ years. The Pignose Switch feels the same as the origial ones (nice). Same everthing.

Krackula
    I love my Pignose. Little fickle with pedals, but a Piggy with the door open and a Vox V847 about 75% down and left there makes for THE NASTIEST distortion you ever heard in your life. Not a modern-metal Triple Rectifier type distortion, but ugh with that sound already anyway - it's played out, people.