MicroPro 200 review by Quilter

Quilter: MicroPro 200

Price paid: C$ 1100

Purchased from: Quilter Laboratories

I'm currently using a Fender Telecaster Deluxe; those pickups aren't high-gain, but it cranks pretty hard with the gain maxed out! I would Imagine that with an active set of pickups (or high-gain set), you would have to play around with it a bit more. I used an Epiphone LP Jr. through it once, and the humbucker they have in there is absolutely ferocious - underrated! The MicroPro 200 can be a little noisy depending on the grounding situation where you are playing, but it's not really a big deal. I can get plucky country stuff out of this no problem; from there, dirty blues is easy, as is getting into the AC/DC and Van Halen zone. To get a metal tone (as I said before), you would have to use the HOT boost setting (wah/OD/EQ for solos?), but you can pretty much play anything through this beautiful thing!

I've been playing for over 10 years, and played through Marshall and Peavey amps prior to this; I also own a fair-sized collection of pedals. This is the best amp I've played through in awhile; I'd love to get a Gibson ES-339 Studio an rip through this amp, because that guitar through a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:25 is incredible. I would definitely buy from Quilter again were this amp lost or stolen. The only "minus" in this amp is that it is not designed to be a high-gain, metal beast; however, with the right guitar and playing skills, you can destroy with the MicroPro - I certainly have.

I've gigged with the MicroPro 200 for awhile now, and the only problem I've ever had is feedback if I'm standing too close and not Dir. Outing through the PA. In the future, I'll be insisting that we send it through the PA. Because it's not tube-powered, you don't have to worry about issues there; the tone is gorgeous clean or dirty, and it plays well with pedals of all stripes. At this point, though, I haven't even used any of my pedals for shows anymore - it's easier to just plug straight into this thing and rock. Perhaps for metal, I would throw an EQ into the loop and use that for leads... Other than that, I don't need extras.

I've had this amp for a little over a year now (as old as the amp itself), so I thought I would follow up with a second review. I play various styles of rock (including pop/country rock), as well as blues and metal. This amplifier matches those styles well; for metal it's best to set the Boost mode to HOT and leave it on as the rhythm tone - you can easily get tones like Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold and so on with this setting. The MicroPro 200 has a Balance/XLR channel for acoustic guitars or microphones, which can also be used as a "pure" clean channel; only the reverb and FX Loop buttons on the footswitch work when this mode is selected. On the main channel designed for electric guitars, I use the Limiter feature (footswitchable) as a clean setting, crank the gain for dirty sounds and use the Boost feature on Loud mode for solos. There is no headphone jack, but the master volume control has a massive range. I've never used it to gig above half volume. I wouldn't mind if the amp had a wider gain range, as you don't really get distorted until 2:00 or more. The amp is 100 watts per channel, so (as mentioned with the "never above 1/2 volume") it is incredibly powerful for such a small piece. One thing I'm a big fan of is the Direct Out jack - you can record into things like a Boss BR-600 (which I have), or go right into the mixer for PA purposes. By disconnecting the speaker, you can blaze through the monitors/speakers and not have feedback issues from the actual cabinet! The Boost function has 4 modes (Scoop, Bright, Loud, Hot); there is a great, customizable Reverb circuit built-in; there is a Tremolo effect (I only use it sometimes); finally, there are controls for Presence, and a Mode selection switch for different amp sims if you like (I just leave it on Full Q).