EX15FX review by Randall

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Randall: EX15FX

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Honestly, I'm disappointed. But then, it was a gift, I didn't pick it out. I prefer to play thrash metal, so I have overdrive on, gain on full, and after fiddling with the EQ I finally got it to a decent distorted sound. But it doesn't fulfill my hunger for a crunchy, dirty, heavily distorted tone like that of my favorite bands use. And, seeing as how I'm more into learning my favorite songs, then getting serious and learning theory, I'm not exactly thrilled about this factor. But I got to give Randall some credit. That master volume control is more then enough to blow anyone's ears apart. I barely have it on 2 and it's loud enough to shake the walls. Unfortunately for me, I live in a duplex, so this is a problem I can only avoid by jamming elsewhere or playing unplugged.

I don't typically play anything other than metal, nor do I currently have an interest in anything else. However, one might find this a good amp for playing blues or jazz. I'm not 100% sure though, I don't play blues or jazz, but just an fyi thing. I've only been playing for about 7 months now, my guitar is a Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse Special, and if I could I would have picked a different guitar and a different amp altogether, but at the same time I can't complain. It's a good guitar (just a little uncomfortable) and a fair amp. If the amp was stolen I'd be bummed, because I don't have anything else, or money for anything else for that matter, but I definitely wouldn't buy the same thing. It just doesn't fit my style.

I've only had it for about a year, and it's never broken down. In fact, the cable that came with it is still in great condition. I'm quite happy with that aspect at least. I would never bring it along for a gig. It's simply a practice amp, and is not good enough for a gig. Perfect for the average beginner. Fine for a little jam session every now and then. Not a good idea for serious metalists and gigs.

I'm not sure what year it was made. It's a decent little practice amp for the average beginner, but for those Who wish to get a little more serious I'd strongly suggest looking at a different model. It has basic versatility, and will cover a range from blues to metal easily, however not at a high quality. As far as features go, it has 2 channels: overdrive and clean, headphone jack, basic EQ (bass, middle, treble), and two effects (chorus and delay rev). Not all that impressive, but yet enough for basic needs and those Who don't need the extra effects.