RG100G3 review by Randall

Randall: RG100G3

Purchased from: Bairds Sound Systems

Right now I'm using a Cort X-6 with Mightymite pickups, mostly bridge for me but you can get a nice muddy tone from middle and neck. Distortion can go from mellow to pure evil, but not "all over the place" evil, controlled evil, which is pretty much me put inside an amp. There is a lot of feedback at high levels especially right next to the amp, but you just need to learn to control it, as I've said there's a lot of variety to be had with this beast, a real nice clean tone which really can be adjusted to your liking and isn't a one trick pony, have heard no distortion what'soever of the clean at high levels Distortion can go from mellow to pure evil, but not "all over the place" evil, controlled evil used to it's full potential, which is pretty much me put inside an amp. I'm giving this a 9 because I don't how the feedback will be at gigs and if it'll disturb the playing, but I'll comment back on that soon.

I play heavy metal, mostly thrash, but this nails every form of metal, I've been playin for 5 years now and own a Cort X-6 and Squier Strat, I'll be gettin a two-tone Dean Razorback this summer though God-willing. I don't really regret the amp not being perfect first time as I learned a lesson from it sort of. If it were stolen/lost I'd get the Randall V2, only after failing to hunt down and mutalate the f*ckhead that was responsible. But I'd definately get Randall again, I'd only get the V2 if this were about 2008/9 as it would just be progression, if now however I'd get this again. I love everything about it, the sound, look and the power compared to other 2x12s. I don't dislike anything about it except maybe the feedback, that's like getting gas without the pollution it's efficient but you don't notice the bad thing too much. I compared this to the Marshall AVT range and Peavey Valveking, I chose this as It has the best power and style that I need although still excels in other genres.

As I said I had the first replaced, but besides the top panel of even the defected one, it seemed pretty indestuctable otherwise, and the new really remains true to that, it gets transported about twice a week by car, and has been banged into door frames, not even a dent. I quite cautious now though about top panels on amps and always lift it with two hands from the bottom, it's real heavy, but what'd you expect from such a monstrosity. I could definately gig this without a backup. Don't know Who's fault the first amps top panel was, just make sure you get everything checked in store before buying something like this. I've given a 9 because the fact that they would leave something like that panel the way it was is quite a shame, if I got it perfect first time however it'd be 10.

Before I start I got this amp in the 2nd week of January, since I got it there was always a major vibration within it, I ignored it thinking it was natural for an amp this powerful, it's not. I've read a lot of peoples reviews Who had/have the same problem. Me and my band are to start giggin soon so I thought I'll take it down to Bairds to see if it's just maybe something needs tightened, no, it turned out the top panel was not glued down properly (to test this grab the panel (just above the control knobs) and pull at it, don't be afraid to use force, you'll hear the creak if it's the same as mine was). Bairds replaced it there and then, free, no extra cash. Now the amp I thought was great (but sometimes annoying) is 20 times better. I think it's a 2005/6 not too sure. I play Heavy metal mainly, but this amp does it all, I often play blues, funk and all sorts of crazy sh*t while jamming, It can suit all styles. One thing though, if you're Indie, Don't touch this amp, you'll ruin it, you've already ruined Fender, go away. 2 channels; overdrive and clean, free footswitch, 2 gain modes; hi-gain and Vintage overdrive, clean boost and effects loops, a ground/lift Switch no headfone jack though, Who cares, this thing would blow your head apart if you enclosed at your ears. It has a mid scoop Switch, I suppose that'd be pretty handy if it were on the footswitch, but you'd rarely scoop mid song anyway. "Are there features you never use?" put it this way, I have barely scraped the surface on the amount of tones this thing can achieve. I use this in my living room and my mates living room for band Practise, but have used it in my garage and it copes well anywhere, our first gig is next week, so I'll comment back on tht later but it has more than enough power for anything from bar gigs to medium sized concerts I'd say as I've never had to crank it past 5(to play over my loud drummer). It's got spring reverb which can be switched by foot and is a valvestate.

emr_steelmech
    what ive found is that even better than this amp's metal tone, is the heavy-blues tone you can get on gain 1 through my Ibanez RG 350 on the 2nd pickup position (which would be bridge/middle combo). Any good bluesy sounding guitar gives such an ungodly awesome tone....mmmmm
    Stratmanpaul
    gigged it last friday, they miked it up to the PA, dunno why, they even miked up the other bands 8x12 Crate stack. only had to turn the Level to 4 and the Master to 7. Sounded great until our last song which goes from clean to distorted at certain points, since I was a d*ck and forgot my footswitch I had to use my distortion pedal and it just sounded really crap, my fault though as the settings didn't match eachother. Otherwise it was awesome and there was no feedback whatsoever.
    sgreenhalgh
    I own one, its pretty good. There is slight feedback on the amp, not too bad. Sounds nearly like a full tube amp.. Plus it pumps too. Im still yet to turn it up to 75% volume and see how it holds up...
    USCENDONE BENE
    is it possble to get a more "classic rock" sound from this amp, coz ive heard al it can really do is metal. I love playing metal but my band's music doesnt need a full on metal sound...any thoughts?
    gilles_frehley
    yeah it's possible to get a classic rock sound from it. I own one and it's awesome. You can get almost every sound you want from it. But it's friggin heavy