RG100G3 review by Randall

Randall: RG100G3

Purchased from: GAK

The amp sounds really good, as soon I'd got it plugged in it was very easy to get the sound I was after. I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and a Jackson RR3 through the amp and I can hear the differences between these instruments a lot clearer than with my old amp. Theres enough gain there for me to use, I mainly play death metal but also anything in between. This is where the two gain channels is especially useful; I can have a high gain channel for the metal and then get a classic rock sound with the other. I've messed around with the settings and I've been able to get a lot of different sounds with the amp. The clean channel is very clear, I've had no problem with it at high volumes and again I was able to get different sounds with it, from really bright to a smooth warm sound.

Before I got this amp I had a 30 watt Roland cube, not a bad amp by any means, its a good starter amp, but I decided I really needed to get a proper amp so I looked into getting a Randall. Originally I was going to get the head version of this model along with a Randall 150 watt cab, but they're discontinued and I couldn't find one. I'm kind of glad of this because the cab didn't have Celestion speakers, which the combo does have. This amp is also discontinued, but I'd highly recommend getting one if you see it second hand somewhere, its a really good amp fo its price. The only gripe I have with it is the reverb, it is good but could possibly be stronger at higher levels. Mind you I'm comparing this to my mates little Orange amp which has a stupendous amount of reverb. Anyway this amps great, I definately recommend it to someone looking for a cheap amp that can play metal through.

I've had the amp for about 4 months now, not had a single problem with it. Its build solidly and so is the footswitch. I am just a bedroom player so I can't really comment on its gig worthiness; but I'm sure it would hold up well. Its definately loud enough for any band practice.

This amp has 2 12" Celestion speakers with 100 watts going to them, making this amp nice and loud. I'm yet to turn the master volume past 3 because I was causing stuff to fall of my desk. The amp is a tube hybrid, using both a tube and solid state. The amp has 2 channels, overdrive and clean. The overdrive has two separate channels so you can have two different levels of gain to use. The overdrive channels has the basic bass, mids and treble; along with that there is a sweep knob and a mids voicing button. The sweep makes the sound dark or bright depending of it is high or low. The mids voicing basically scoops the mids, not particularly keen on that but its there to use. The clean channel has bass, mids and treble as well; also there is a clean boost which increases the volume of the clean channel. Both channels have spring reverb, which could possibly sound a bit better. At the back theres external speak jacks and an effects loop. A footswitch came with the amp which allows me to change from clean to overdrive, change the gain channel and to Switch on the clean boost and reverb.

guitar-name
    Someone gave me one of these on "indefinate loan". It's incredible for hard rock and overdriven blues. I turn the bass to zero and it still goes "Whoomph".The contour setting gives you 80's metal and it does a lot inbetween and really does sound like a valve amp but way tighter and more focussed. A really unique amp for overdrive sounds. I really want to own one outright. The clean channel,I find workable for multi effects, it actually seems to attenuate those cr*ppy squeeks and squeels that you get on the distortion settings and smooth them out into a realistic guitar sound.Amazing amp.