RG100SC review by Randall

Randall: RG100SC

Purchased from: Second Encore Music

I am using this amplifier with 2003 BC rich warlock. This is the deadliest metal combination i've ever heard. This amp is so loud and I've never had problems with it. Its perfect for playing live. I have the gain channel and master both at half and thats all the volume I need to make ears bleed. The chorus is also still noticeable at high volumes, so it isn't useless. The clean channel is fine at high volumes and has no noise. IF the bass is too high on the gain channel and heavy palm muting is being used at loud volumes, the speaker made a "fart" before. I quickly fixed the EQ and the sounds has been better ever since. The distortion on thsi amp is so heavy, and also can be molded whichever way you like it to. Its a totally awesome hi-gain amp.

I wish this amp had independant reverbs for the clean and and gain channels, and I wish it had a stupid 4 button foot switch, indstead of having to buy a second for 75 dollars canadian. If this amp were stolen I would probably buy a Randall RG200 stack. I think randalls are the best metal amp ever made, and will probably take Marshall to school in the future. The prices are extremely reasonable as well, and even stacks don't even go over 900 before taxes. I think as long as you use your brain, this amp will last you as long as you will be playing music.

I would take this amp into a gig without any backup, and I have done so in the past. This amp is indestructible. The Marshall MG100DFX is in the same category and I've known this amp to fall apart when put at loud volumes, but this amp doesn't take any crap and has no rattling, and is just the perfect amp. The leather type skin on the outside body does tear when banged, but looks don't effect sound.

I am sure that this amp is a 2003 model. I got this amp just before the G2 series came out. This amp has the most solidest distortion i've ever heard on the Gain 2 channel, and the nicest classic distortion on the Gain 1 channel. The clean tone is so full bodied, and very nice sounding, and if set right can sound as beautiful as even the best amps. This amp is perfect for metal, whether it be classic or new age stuff like Machine Head. This amp has a 2x8ohm speaker jack out and a 2x4ohm speaker jack out. It has an effects send and return. It also has 2 foot switch jacks. One jack is used for turning on and off the reverb and chorus, and the other is used for the clean and gain channel switching. This is stupid because it should have come with a 4 button foot switch for all these things. I wish thsi amp were the G2 series with independent reverb controls, but when you play live this doesn't matter. it is 100 watts and features 2 twelve inch celestion "seventy-80" speakers. Just a tad heavy weight wise. It also features independent volume level controls for the clean and gain channels as well as a master volume. Gain channel 2 features an extra "contour" control, and both clean and gain channels have a 3 band "Bass mid treb" equalizer.