RG100SC review by Randall

Randall: RG100SC

The first time I plugged this amp in I fell in love. I had most recently been playing a Peavey EFX 112. The addition of another speaker greatly improved the overall tone and clarity of the sound. I play an Ibanex dtx 120 with the stock pickups. As I said I play heavy rock and metal and that is what this amp is best at. When I originally tuned it in I had gain2:7.5 contour: 3.5 bass:6 mid:3.5 high:7.5. Basically I thought that was the cat's pajamas. It had a tone that you would hear from a full band. BUT when I started playing with a full band I realized something had to change. With the current settings the amp didn't come through everyone else as well as I wanted so I ended up doing a full 180. Gain2:6.5 contour: 7.5 bass:6 mid:7.5 high:4. This allowed the amp to Shine through without being overbearing and muddy. Although I love the tone to death there is just something missing. Not a huge hole... Just a little nitch of something missing. It has booming lows, ear piercing highs, but the mid is a little lacking. The distortion is just a little dry at lower volumes. I could use a tad more saturation but I will probably be able to get that with a pre-amp, sonic maximizer, or different pickups. One last thing to mention: When I play shows I usually crank up the volume to 4 or a little above. In doing so the sound of the amp changes. The highs come out more, the lows drop off a little, and the mids show up and say hello. So just remember (as with any amp) dial it in at the level you will be playing shows.

I really really enjoy this amp. If you play metal or some sort of hard rock you will definitely enjoy the sound it produces. I'm very picky when it comes to the sound of a distortion and I really enjoy getting a great sound from just an amp. Sure there could be a little more saturation but that's just me being picky. It has great deal of tone and volume and I wouldn't trade it as it's the closest I've come to what I want!

I've had this amp for a little over 3 years now and it has been in the fixing shop 3 times. I paid 300 for it, and ended up spending another 150 but I think everything is in perfect working order now. This is a solid amp, I just think that I had some bad luck... With the amp tech. But even though I had to spend more I'm still satisfied. I would've paid 450 for this amp anyways.

I'm not sure what year my amp is. I play mostly semi-hard rock to metal. I don't play much clean but every once and a while I Switch to it. Mine has the same features as all the rest of the reviews so I won't list them. I usually don't use the stereo chorus but I have at times turned it on and had all the settings at 0 just to give it a little push. I use this amp for jamming in the basement with a drummer, in full band practice and on stage at shows. It definitely has enough volume for anything you'll need. I usually have the channel volume cranked and have the master between 3 - 3.5. As request from a comment this amp is Solid State and not Tube. I actually like that it is not tube because most tube amps I've played have an underlying "fuzz" that I don't really like. The solid states have the crunch I like.