RG200 review by Randall

Randall: RG200

Purchased from: Tom Lee

My rig right now consists of my Cort KX1F which is great! And it goes awsome with this amp. Since my guitar was made for hardcore and metal, these 2 feel like they were made for eachother. I think the major thing about this amp is the Gain 2 setting. I play lots and lots of metal and sometimes jam clean, but on gigs we only play metal such as, Lamb Of God, Fear Factory, Metallica and Pantera. This amp goes well with all of these bands and their tones of hell. Since, this amp is 200 Watts, it's loud, Resonates the sound from the basement to the ceiling. As well as the distortion goes, the clean is also very good and it does not get distorted, and this amp is not noisy it doesn't have much feedback only some when Gain 2 is on full and the volumes are on high. It's all in the Celestion's baby!

This amp is probably the best amp for its price with great over-ruling power. My goal was to save up more and get a Fender Metalhead but when I tried this one out, I just bought it now I am fixed on being a Randall player. In my preavious gigs I always had to borrow the other band's less than 100 Watt amps but now I laugh at them. I have been playing for about 4 years now and I tell you what, the Marshall MG series suck compared to this.

Lots of people on other sites say that this amp's fan and heats are the major problems, but I never had a problem with that, but on gigs I recommend putting a fan behind the amp, so nothing goes wrong. Otherwise, this amp is like a brick.

This amp was a 2003 made Randall, solid-state amp. It has 2 gain channels and one clean channel, it comes with a 4 way footswitch. The thing I dont like about this amp its channels is that gains 1 and 2 share the EQ, headphone jack isn't like the amps original sound. There are 2 reverbs 1 for gain and other for clean and unlike some other RG's there is no Chorus, but its not likely that you'll ever need one. Another good thing to this amp is that on the Gain channel you can voice the mids which I think helps, I always turn it on but put the knob to zero. However, the sound on this amp eliminates lots of problems. By the way, Celestion 12" Speakers.

felixlucid
    I've owned my Randal RG200 for about 10 years now and it's been aging like fine wine! The speakers sound as good as ever, the built in gain is still holding up with the latest sounds heavy metal has to offer, and it all runs incredibly quiet at lower volumes! I use it not only for my guitar, but also for my Yamaha synth as well. The EQ settings are sufficient for just about any application. I have my Sweetwater catalog in front of me right now and I was looking over some of the latest amps to see if maybe I'm due in for an upgrade, but the only comparable Combo AMPs are 2000-3000 bucks and are pretty much the SAME Celestion speakers I have in this unit except with more built in features to the combo like noisegates, effects, or whatever. But if you already have a nice fx setup or rack, it really makes no sense to upgrade. They don't sell em like this anymore guys.. probably because they last too long and kick too much ass, no one would ever upgrade!
    IBZ-Iceman
    i dont much about equipment ive been playin a RG for 2 yeers without a amp and have gotten pretty good so i was wonderin if this amp would be good for deathcore type music like AsBloodRunsBlack or JobForaCowboy
    Type56
    why not? i play the guitar for 3 years now.... the electric for a half year.. with my ax3000g as a preamp trough a hifi-system. now i think i'll by a combo.. maybe this one or the 100W edition
    c man
    I own a randall RG200 an it is frigin sweet this amp has power making it realy loud
    hothot
    there is two much gain on this amp for sweep picking. That why I bought the RG100SC because you can have the gain on gain2 all the way up and use a little bit chorus to stop from over gain.
    Numero80
    Damn ! It's a ****ing nice amp ! I have it since near one year, and I really don't regret it! It's 8 times more powerful than a drum, with a heavy metal sound !
    Denis210
    I have the RG200 since 2005 and it Still sound great.I had some issue with the Celestion Speaker but i claim it under warranty. Since that it always sound like it deserve. The only issue i have with it's when i play for long time (over 2h), the amp getting very hot and buzzing some time. If you like heavy sound it recommanded anytime.