RG200DG3 review by Randall

Randall: RG200DG3

Purchased from: Heritage Pawn

I own an Epiphone Special, with a Seymour Duncan pickup at the neck. I play it with a Zoom GFX707. I play a lot of rock, alernative, etc. The amp has a great sounding clean channel, but is gets gutsy at high levels like a lot of tube amps. The distortion channels are not bad, but I use my fx pedal for all my heavy stuff. The sound suits my style perfectly. The bass on either channel can't be turned up past 3, otherwise I would kill the speakers, but I don't need it any higher. My pedal only sounds good plugged into the front input; the rear fx channel sounds like crap.

I play rhythm @ my church, and my own stuff, rock, heavy stuff. I've played for 12 years, and this amp is a monster upgrade from my original Squire Strat & Squire Chorus 30! The touchy bass is a little annoying, but very forgivable. This amp retails at $1000.00 CAN; I purchased a Brand New Laney LX120 Twin, and I saw the Randell, played, & bought! If this amp were gone, I would look to buy something similar. I can't stress enough how much this amp has bettered my sound!

I have two children Who have already knocked over, and the tubes have not broken, or needed attention. I think that if I would change the tubes, it may even get better sound. This thing weighs a ton; it's heavier than my Yorkville 200B Bass amp. The sound and volume is just fine at small gigs, 200 watts, power! At a bigger venue teckkies are always all picky about control and sound, but they wouldn't need to be! I was thinking of getting a POD 2.0, but this amp makes my little Zoom pedal sound great!

I bought this amp used. Two hundred watts w/two celestions. It was probably made around 2000. It's got tubes, and sounds great. The amp has two channels controlled by a Switch on the front of amp: a clean channel with a volume, treble, mid, bass, and reverb knobs, and a boost switch. The Drive channel has two separate gain channels, each gain channel has separate gain knobs. The drive channel has reverb, treble, mid, bass, & contour knobs, and a voicing switch. The back has line out, send/return for fx, and two volume knobs for send/return level.

davegrohljr
    I own this amp, and the fx loop is the only way to get a decent sound with any pedals-I don't know what you are doing wrong, but my sound is great. The only issue I have is that the volume gets sucked right out when I use any effects.
    AngryGoldfish
    wildchild6660
    AngryGoldfish wrote: Can anyone tell me whether this amp is worth getting, without the effects pedals! I don't really care to much for effects pedals, I mainly use the distortion on the amp itself as I find it to sound the most authentic. Thats just me of course. Is that distortion and clean channel worth the money?
    if money is an issue, go for a peavey bandit 112 (transtube)
    AnxietyAngel
    I Don't Know What's Wrong With Mine, It Keeps Breaking On Me, I Took It To The Shop Two Times Already. The Repair Person Said Something To Do With The Power Amp.